21st Century Bf-109 F

spacewolf

The wings were glued and one thing to watch for those of you who may be doing these kits is they seem to have a raised edge on the mating surfaces of the wing. Why, I don't know, but it holds the edges apart about a millimeter. I carefully trimmed and scraped it off and had no problems. Shims were cut for the rear of the wing and test fitting shows the step has vanished.

post-2514-1254375147.jpg

Some very nice looking details! The drop tank, air filter and tires looks great!

I wish Revell had put some more effort in the details on their kits! :lol: But of course they're a bit older! :lol:

Cheers,

Håkan

Some very nice looking details! The drop tank, air filter and tires looks great!

I wish Revell had put some more effort in the details on their kits! :lol: But of course they're a bit older! ;)

Cheers,

Håkan

When they came out it was like the way people are reacting now about the new Tamiya Spit....and it was the only game in town... plus we wouldn't have the 'net for oh....another 30 years....so, we didn't know how 'wrong' it was :lol: It's still a great kit and with a bit of work looks really good. Have you decided on a particular Ace or are you going with whats in the kit ?

Cheers

Vaughn

The net sure is a great resource, and forums like this in particular! :lol:

Those days you had to trust the instructions, unless you happend to come by some book!

Revell are strange in that they do some details very nice, and some areas are like old Frog kits!

I've planned to do Werner Mölders plane, which is the only option in that kit!

Cheers,

Håkan

Exactly, and it's worse to Australia. I did once buy a 21C kit from an LSP member in the US, but by the time you factored in the exchange rate plus shipping, it was anything but a bargain. And to add insult to injury, the kit was their dodgy Zero boxing!

Kev

Was there one in particular that you wanted ?

This is a good kit, I found it went together well when I built it, just keep in mind, it was originally a toy, and there are several areas that need attention.

Yours is looking great!!!

It is a good kit, very good detail and very buildable and I'm glad I've got a few more in my stash :P Thanks for the kind words.

Cheers

Vaughn

Was there one in particular that you wanted ?

Not especially mate, though I reckon this 109F you're building looks the pick of the bunch. For the right price I'd be happy enough with any of them. But they're nearly impossible to find locally, and usually (relatively) expensive when you do, which is frustrating. Ironically there's another of the Macchi kits on Aussie eBay at the moment, but I've been there, done that now (and they want too much for it).

Kev

Not especially mate, though I reckon this 109F you're building looks the pick of the bunch. For the right price I'd be happy enough with any of them. But they're nearly impossible to find locally, and usually (relatively) expensive when you do, which is frustrating. Ironically there's another of the Macchi kits on Aussie eBay at the moment, but I've been there, done that now (and they want too much for it).

Kev

You have built the Macchi ? I'm still getting people straight on this forum andmight not have noticed who built what.

Just finished following your build, very well done. Love the free hand smoke rings. For future ref forget those plugs they give you for the screw holes, cut disks from styrene and plug 'em that way. A bit of putty and your good to go.

While the Zero has it's problems, the cockpit in it is awesome.

.post-2514-1254359872.jpg

The cockpit is a direct copy of the Tamiya pit, with all the slots n holes for the additional pieces that they forgot to include. :blink:

Anyway, for simplicity sake, get a hold of the Tamiya A6M2 instructions from someone and you can then duplicate all the little bits and add them. I will tell you that there are a lot of ejector marks on the pit, and cleaning up the frame was tedious but worth it. I'm pretty happy with the pit on my conversion.

Spacewolf, your F is coming along very nicely. I've got one in my stash so I'm following this and taking notes which I'll put in the box for later.

Sabre

Spacewolf, your F is coming along very nicely. I've got one in my stash so I'm following this and taking notes which I'll put in the box for later.

Sabre

Thanks for the kind words and I hope that the tips are of use. I'm winging it, finding ways to get the effect I want as I go. Thankfully it seems to be working ! :blink:

Haven't had a lot of time to work on this, moving my girlfriend into my place....did I mention I HATE moving, myself or anyone ! ?? Anyway, finally back at the wok bench. I got a Edward photo etch set of seatbelts. This is my first time using one of these sets and I must say it's different... and I have a whole new respect for those who do this stuff in 48th or 72nd.

I made my first belt, only made one mistake, but with a bit of creative painting I think it'll pass.

post-2514-1254644816.jpg