21st Century Bf-109 F

spacewolf

Coooool dude! :lol: You're really going to town on this build,....wow! This is going to look so neat all red. Yeah, Von Hammer was the guys name....whew it's been awhile since I read 'Enemy Ace'. :P Does the same guy do the artwork for the WW2 version? Even as a kid, I remember the WW1 drawings were awesome, and very scale-looking. Can't wait to see the next update! ;) Later, Russ

Coooool dude! :lol: You're really going to town on this build,....wow! This is going to look so neat all red. Yeah, Von Hammer was the guys name....whew it's been awhile since I read 'Enemy Ace'. :P Does the same guy do the artwork for the WW2 version? Even as a kid, I remember the WW1 drawings were awesome, and very scale-looking. Can't wait to see the next update! ;) Later, Russ

Thanks Russ. No, as far as I know it was someone else..never thought to look but the art styles seem totally different. This is much darker, much more bloody. A similar story, von Hammer trying to keep his pilots alive while the political higher ups could care less about losses... but this is much more political and there is a lot of blood in places. The detail is inconsistant, very good in places and bland in others. It's a neat nostalgia trip and a close to the von Hammer story and seeing an all red 109 .......and in the second comic an all red 262...... ya just knew someone had to build them !

Cheers

Vaughn

Fighting with flaps should be the title tonight. I had to get going on the flaps and cooler flaps so decided to go for the easy one.. the main flaps. Easy ?...ya...right ! First thing was I found I had no idea what the front of the flap looked like so I spent some time surfing for images till I gave up and posted a "help me" on another site ! :lol: Thanks to Lynn Ritger of the "109 Lair" and Charles Metz I had my answer in less than 20 min. !!

I glued Plastic to the front of the flap after gluing the top and bottom together. There is an alignment pin that helps hold the open face at the right level to the wing. Once the glue was dry I trimmed the strip to an angle and sanded the top to an airfoil shape. On the inboard edge I extended the airfoil shape to provide a 'step' with which to set the angle at which the flap would sit. I cut into the flap edge to simulate the rib and skin of the flap.

post-2514-1254895701.jpg

It looks not too bad. There was a bit of a downward warp in the top skin panel just inside of the aileron. A plastic wedge glued into the wing got everything straight. The flap is just set in place, not glued so there is a bit of a gap at the outer edge.

post-2514-1254896128.jpg

Nice work Vaughn!

Always good to have good references!

Cheers,

Håkan

You can say that again ! I got the other flap done so tomorrow I should have them ready to go on. Time to get the wing on the fuselage too.... might have this finished in a couple of weeks !

Cheers

Vaughn

Lynn Ritger and several others who have built the kit warned me that about 1 mm needed to be taken off each wing root to get the proper dihedral. Be careful, the plastic is soft and thin near the front of the root...all too easy to end up taking off more than you need...More things to fill and sand... oh well, it's getting closer to being finished.

post-2514-1254972713.jpg

The oil cooler that is provided is pretty good, but there are no screens. The large tab that has the screw hole to screw the front mount for the wing is supposed to provide a blanking plate to keep you from seeing light through. Of course you know thats not good enough !

post-2514-1254988327.jpg