Monogram 1/32 scale P-51D

GVINCENT

I was curious about the old Monogram P-51 and how it holds up to the Hasegawa and Dragon P-51's?

I know the Hasegawa and Dragon P-51's have some issues that have been gone over and over and over.. but is the Monogram offering worse? I don't recall actually seeing one built but I see them for sale on ebay fairly cheap at times. I know it must be "old tool" tech.. but how about the shape?

Thanks

Gary V.

I was curious about the old Monogram P-51 and how it holds up to the Hasegawa and Dragon P-51's?

I know the Hasegawa and Dragon P-51's have some issues that have been gone over and over and over.. but is the Monogram offering worse? I don't recall actually seeing one built but I see them for sale on ebay fairly cheap at times. I know it must be "old tool" tech.. but how about the shape?

Thanks

Gary V.

Gary it is an old kit .But,it is Monogram which means it looks pretty good...It has a nice blunt tipped prop that I like.

Go for it! Ernie

IMO, it's an honest, reasonably priced kit. I have the clear version. phantom Mustang. It's patterened after a late model D, with the A.Products prop (no cuffs).. It shows you how advanced the Monogram kits were back in the day.

Cheers,

ggc

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings All,

I saw the word Mustang and naturally had to come see. I wish I could give a definitive answer about the Monogram kit. I know they got the wells right in as far as the main spar is concerned. I know its got all kinds of stuff for detailing. SorryI cant give a more comprehensive answer about its overall shape accuracy.

I will say that Ive been working on the fuselage of the 24th scale Airfix kit for the last three or so weeks. While it's surprisingly well shaped, it never the less, requires some changes to the overall length, reshaping the tail, reshaping the ventral intake and a completely new nose. I hope to start posting soon to document the changes. The changes are based on two sets of drawings. One is a working set by Charles Neely and a CAD generated set used to check Neely's work. Im ninety-nine percent confident that the drawings are accurate. The CAD drawing is generated from NAA fuselage ordinates. This is not an interpretation of photographs. Having now spent so much time studying it, and having arrived at what I believe to be a truely accurate nose shape, it actually looks a bit odd. I guess from loking at the wrong shapes for so long, when confronted by what it should really be, it seems off...but it isnt.

I would suggest that you wait for Jerry Rutmans new D model. I know how much effort he is expending on the project. His details are excellent and the overall shape will be spot on. It will be well worth the money. With what is available on the market, Jerry's offering will no doubt redefine the quality and accuracy of Mustang kits.

Best,

Geoff

Greetings All,

I will say that Ive been working on the fuselage of the 24th scale Airfix kit for the last three or so weeks. While it's surprisingly well shaped, it never the less, requires some changes to the overall length, reshaping the tail, reshaping the ventral intake and a completely new nose. I hope to start posting soon to document the changes. The changes are based on two sets of drawings. One is a working set by Charles Neely and a CAD generated set used to check Neely's work. Im ninety-nine percent confident that the drawings are accurate. The CAD drawing is generated from NAA fuselage ordinates. This is not an interpretation of photographs. Having now spent so much time studying it, and having arrived at what I believe to be a truely accurate nose shape, it actually looks a bit odd. I guess from loking at the wrong shapes for so long, when confronted by what it should really be, it seems off...but it isnt.

Best,

Geoff

Well, that clears up everything about the Monogram kit. :ph34r: :) ;)

It LOOKS like an F-51D from the Korean conflict.

You could use aftermarket detail (Jerry R.) in the cockpit, sand the oversized raised rivets down, add some aftermarket wheels (true details, etc)

Add a Squadron Vac canopy.

When you finish it will look fine (Yes the wing's airfoil is a bit on the thick side) but it Builds into a good looking model for 1961 technology. (48, ALMOST 50 YEARS OLD!!!)

Jon

post-791-1250955366.jpg

• 3 years later...

I talked about my Phantom Mustang in my 'Whats great about getting old' post, but after I got out of the Army, I bought the other one and was thrilled with it. When I was in the Army, I went for a ride in a Confederate Air Force two seater. The kit looked like a Mustang to me. I did enjoy the retractable landing gear. Not because I played with it, even though I secretly bombed my 'parked' FW-190, (don't tell anyone) But I did love displaying it gear up or gear down. Signed the four letter 'F' word, FRED