Started an experiment tonite....

Sabre F-86

• 6 years later...

Been a long time but the Wal still exists. I just discovered Amodel put out a 72nd scale model of the Dornier  Wal J, which the Soviets used. I ordered it from an outfit in Poland (along with the ICM Gladiator Mk II) and they arrived today. I've dusted the parts off, and pulled the foam core down from the shelf and will start comparing measurements in the next day or two. The foam core for the wing is the proper chord (I think) but too long, so i figured a general check of dimensions is due. The Wilhelmshaven paper model was a ******* mix of features from all of them so I've decided to go along with the Wal J information and work from there. It might not look completely like a Wal J but a lot closer than what I've cobbled together so far.

I'm also going to see about putting the photos for this build onto my own web page, from which I can direct link. I'll start updated them as I get the time.

SK

• 1 month later...

OK, I've been checking various parts of the Amodel kit and it ain't looking good. As I said earlier, the Wilhelmshaven model was a mishmash of features and shapes from the various Wals built. So after checking the dimensions of the kit vs my scratch built effort, I have pretty much come to the conclusion that Wilhelmshaven didn't have a clue. I knew the wings were off just from photos out there. The foam core is still a viable option, but the fuselage is way too short. Like nearly 3 inches short. The tail planes may be salvageable, need to measure the kit parts and expand them. Engine housing needs a complete rework too. So...

I'm investigating the possibility of modifying the fuselage and tail planes by extending the fuselage with sheet plastic, and cutting down the tail planes. I think they are OK in chord but too long. The vertical stab looks to be the right shape, need the size confirmed.

Guys, I suspect this is not going to progress very fast until I retire. But I love the look of this aircraft and the history is fascinating so I'm not giving.

• 2 weeks later...

Slowly but surely getting various dimensions from the Amodel kit. If I can find my sanding block, I'll start reducing the thickness of the foam wing core. The wing is cambered, so do I reduce the thickness and try to bend the wing round a small rod to get the camber or do I sand it into the bottom surface. The wing will end up being a foam core with balsa leading edge, and .010 or .020 sheet with rib detail embossed on top and bottom surfaces. Still working on whether it's possible to use the existing fuselage with a  rework or start from scratch again. One thing, the bottom contour is very much different on the Amodel kit. It's a lot flatter than what I have. Things have slowed down, I returned to work two weeks ago, working up to full time again by first week of November.

• 2 years later...

Finally got a chance to work on this puppy again. Currently scaling up the Amodel hull. She'll be a tad over 22 inches long. Have the hull glued upside down to a  solid base, and picked up a surface gauge so I can pick up individual points at 1/2 inch intervals. I figure with 19 stations in the fuselage, it should come out looking pretty fair.