Ki-84 Type 4 "Frank"

DaveJ

Thanks very much for the kind remarks everyone! :blink:

This past weekend I achieved my Best. Gloss. Coat. Ever!

I have often wondered if we sometimes go to great lengths to make things harder than they need to be. I particularly wondered this every time I tried to spray Future through my airbrush. Every forum you visit has multiple threads about how to get a reliable clear coat spraying this stuff! I had long since given up on it in favor of Xtracrylix gloss which is much more forgiving. Problem is: it isn't a very tough coat. In all those "Help!!" threads you see one or two guys saying; "I just brush it on and it works a treat!" and mostly being ignored. That can't work! It sounds way too easy!

It works. :o

ShineOne.jpg

ShineTwo.jpg

I did not polish or wet-sand the paint prior to this because the paint coat is so thin I was already having problems with scratches. I was afraid that even a micro-mesh would just go right through to primer. I can only imagine how great a shine I'll get on my next project when I can properly prepare the paint. Too bad I don't have any decals to put on it!!

Weathering and dangly bits next. I'm almost out of month... <_<

Dave, that looks awesome! Love it. The whole thing looks impressively striking. I brushed-painted Future (the real stuff!) on my 1/48 George, and was very pleased with the results. You need to use a good-quality flat brush though, which is something I lack. The cheap nylon-bristle job I use tends to leave brush marks ocassionally (but they mostly settle out).

Kev

Brushing on Future is the way I do it most of the time! Works fine and as you have noticed flows out very nicely on the surface!

My Zero is entirely hand brushed with Future! I use a soft brush with long bristles to get it on!

Cheers,

Håkan

Whoohoo, Looking GREAT DAVE! I've never had the opportunity to use Future, cuz I was always scared to run it thru the airbrush and not get it cleaned out. Brushing is definitely a plausible alternative now that i've seen how well it went on this Frank. Hey, if you, Azgaron and Kevin endorse it...maybe even I can do this. What do you use to clean your brush with after using it? What thins this stuff? I've been wanting to get some of this stuff if for no other reason than to dip canopies in. I hear it's a mess to work with? :ph34r:

Russ- You can use Ammonia to get rid of the future from your brushes and airbrush- In fact, I clean my airbrush out with Windex with ammonia as soon as I am done spraying the stuff, and it has never clogged up on me. As far as thinning it, I have never had to- It is thin enough from the bottle. It is useful!

THOR :ph34r:

Dave, your Ki-84 is really sharp, love the paint scheme. The Frank is a big favorite of mine and it has such beautiful lines that it'd look good in a burlap sack. I'm looking forward to seeing yours on the cat-walk very soon.

Thanks Guys!

This is going to be the first of a new series: "Found at the Bottom of a Lake"

SLudgeOne.jpg

SludgeTwo.jpg

What do you think? Too much? :)

(Actually, the Promodeller Wash has been applied....)

Wash removed...

It's not so easy getting a wash to show on such a dark green but the 'mud brown' Promodeller Wash does. Finding angles to photograph so it's visible on screen is another thing! Hopefully these will show it well enough.

WashOne.jpg

WashTwo.jpg

WashThree.jpg

And the belly..

WashFour.jpg

WashFive.jpg

I'm out of town until Friday night so it's gonna be a busy weekend to get this finished!