Dh-88 / Aerotech

Supermario

Good start! Nice to see more thirties aircraft being build. Here are some pics of the interior that might be of use.

Hans

post-1501-1233494589.jpg

post-1501-1233494671.jpg

post-1501-1233494723.jpg

I think these were posted on this site before, can't remenber by who though.

I cannot tell a lie, it was I!

Supermario: The original cockpit fit did not have a centre consul, G ACSS acquired one for the modern radio stack along with a new instrument layout. It is also worth noting that the throttle quadrant is from a later A/C type and not original to ACSS, which when manufactured probably had a unit from the Dragon series, which is much less substantial.

I have a large amount of DH 88 info, if you need anything in particular, please do drop me a pm and I will be delighted to try and help you out. I also have this kit and many concerns about its accuracy, which I would be happy to share with you. Briefly, may I suggest that you look hard at the fuselage sections, cockpit position, height of the tailplane and as you are already working them; the width and section of the nacelles.

Mark.

Matt, thanks for the compliment, but I will never have the pretention to build a sale production...! :)

PS. Ridge Runner, PM sent. And the center console is already in the garbage can :)

:)

I wish you'd change your mind. I'd buy one. I don't know of a single Dh plane that isn't a work of art!!

Ron

Hi ron, thank you! hmm... the problem is that it’s a little late to make copies :

it builds up slowly but start to look right for me (parts are only pre-painted so there are some flaws here and there)

37907346mm9.jpg

51445062hk1.jpg

79781024qz4.jpg

15304224xg8.jpg

... 'think there are more and more chances the kit looses his right nacelle :lol:

TBC :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

Some news from the bench… after some injuries while trimming the cockpit sides

35288498.jpg

Not a big deal to fix it, but not for the finger :(

After recovering, I went on with some more details in the cockpit and the painting

(the side panels now fit right too)

img3717grl.jpg

img3720e.jpg

... an "open" view (shows the need of some paint touch up ... :rolleyes: )

img3726eiq.jpg

I decided to improve the wings surfaces as they are partially covered with fabric. Refil, correct and rescribe the (too large) pannel lines. I'll try to do it in the primer - I saw it very nicely done on a build here, some times ago, and I hope I can manage this.

Some drawing

img3482r.jpg

Pannel lines filling (cyano+micro-balloon)

49427398.jpg

I also quickly made masks for the symmetry of the ribs that show through the fabric covered

18077597.jpg

35795939.jpg

And the last "conformity" check of the engine

46868489.jpg

67764566.jpg

77757823.jpg

as you can see, things are still (SLOWLY) on their way :rolleyes:

Hi Supermario,

I am following this build in "stereo" on this forum and the Master194 Racer GB forum...Great work you have achieved so far. Please keep posting this truly inspirational build !

I can see you also went for a new very literal meaning to the expression "bringing some new blood to a project" :rolleyes: :( I am not sure though that Grosvenor House red was this type of red... :)

Anyway, I'll keep watching this build with great interest.

Hubert.

Hello Supermario,

Coming along nicely with your DH88, I have some recent pictures of a DH Gipsy 6 type R fitted with the original Ratier prop if they are of any interest to you. By the way did you ever get the Comet drawings and pictures I sent to you back in February?

All the best Mark.

Hey there :lol:

Your engine is awesome mate. I had begun something similar for the Schonfelt Firecracker...all I needed was some extra inspiration.

Nice casting cave man... :P ...it turned out great.

Oh...was watching a series called Hitlers Bodyguard. In an episode of that series it claimed that one of the pilots was approached and for $1,000,000 he was to fly to Germany in a DH88, drop some bombs during a parade and in doing so assasinate Adolf. :rolleyes: Had never heard of that before.

Will look forward to more photos...

Cheers Matty

(…)

I can see you also went for a new very literal meaning to the expression "bringing some new blood to a project" :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

(…)

:blink: Grrr!!! Hey! I never expected modelling to be a that (much) risky affair :(

Hello Supermario,

Coming along nicely with your DH88, I have some recent pictures of a DH Gipsy 6 type R fitted with the original Ratier prop if they are of any interest to you. By the way did you ever get the Comet drawings and pictures I sent to you back in February?

All the best Mark.

Hi mate !

uhhh, as far as I see, you did not recieve my e-mails back then ??!!

Of course I get your first class infos !!! and this is the main reason I work on the wings !!!

I'm also still hesitating with the fuselage front end correction. But I'm not really sure the amount of work will pay at the end...

PS. Of course I would be interested in your Gypsy 6 photos! But ONLY if there will be no reason for me to rebuild the half of the engine because I have to notice mine is wrong! :blink:

Hey there ;)

Your engine is awesome mate. I had begun something similar for the Schonfelt Firecracker...all I needed was some extra inspiration.

Nice casting cave man... :( ...it turned out great.

Hi Matty! ;)

I honestly thought it would be more a pain somewhere to build this in-line engine… it wasn't! So why not a Menasco … could be fun!

(don't you have Roscoe's racer to finish before starting the Firecracker...??? :P )

BTW casting talking, some modellers pointed out that the encountered problems with "my" bubbles came certainly from a too old stuff... bad luck !

And most of all : thank you for all your messages !! I had some lack of motivation the past weeks... this helps!!!

;)