Barry

Finally reached a point where an update was warranted.

I have been working on fitting the Aires canopy interior framing to the kit piece which required adding a piece to the front as they did not provide the front framing only sides and back. This also required reshaping it the fit the fuselage in the closed position as it was meant to be in the open position.

I also decided to reshape the windscreen center armored glass as this was too narrow from my point of view. I though about just sanding away the molded lines but then decided on filling out the center section to the shape I wanted and replacing it with a fitted piece that I would be able to tint green prior to installing.

I included several photos for your thoughts.

Barry

post-4217-1245179109.jpg

The windscreen was the real challenge. After removing the center section I carved a flange into the edge of the opening at a depth of .020 x .025 to give me a mounting surface for the new center section. I then glued strip styrene of .010 x .030 to the inner surface to create the interior frame and give me more support for the flange. I then added another strip of .010 x .040 contouring it the first piece to create the upper interior framing for the side glasses.

I also had to add to the bottom of the center piece on the interior because I cracked the kit piece there while handling it during the sanding away of the molded framing.

post-4217-1245179943.jpg

Bryan, Matt thank you for your kind words.

It was completely opaque after I sanded all the molded detail lines off.

After about 3 hours of polish sanding in running water I then polished it with Novus’s polishing system then buffed it looks pretty good.

There are still some fine scratches that I will sand and polish out once I am thru handling it; then coat it in Future.

Barry