Barry

Nearly all of this was done from the photos on pages 8 and 9 of Squadron's #38 Crusader Walk Around.

I sure could use some help with photos of the lower part on the bay before I commit to my "best" guess as to what type of structure might be needed to support the outer skin of the bay. I may have to take it to work with me and get our aerospace structural engineers to give me their best guess.

I went to this level of detail because one this scale needs it and secondly because in my Inflight Display the Probe will be up front to the viewer.

Once I get the plumbing done I will be moving on to the Speed Brake.

Barry :rolleyes:

If you have not picked up one of Harold's seats from AMS for the F-8 I highly recommend you do so.

They are very nicely detailed and will add greatly to you cockpit area.

Barry :rolleyes:

Thanks again for your kind words.

I have started looking into the word needed to display the Speed Brake in the open position and have found a couple of issues. One is an issue even if you choose not to open the speed brake.

There should be an opening in part H8 where the vertical leg of the "T" shaped part is. This opening is common to all F-8s as it is the opening to the Launch Bridle attach point. Even with the Speed Brake closed this opening is present as it has no cover panel.

This leads to the next issue an that is the center keel that should run the full length of part A4 which would include the bridle attachment fitting is not present. If you choose to display the speed brake open you will have to construct this center keel and bridle attachment fitting. Good photos in Squadron Walk Around #38, lower right photo page 28 and all four on page 29 are of the later style speed brake.

The kit speed brake well is only applicable to the D or later versions. Keep this in mind if you choose to build the C or earlier versions using Fisher's up coming conversion kit. That being that the C and earlier models had a rocket pack installed above the speed brake and the speed brake well was very different. You will need to modify this area if you choose to display speed brake open on the C or ealier versions. It will actually be a lot simpler area to model.

Just some thoughts, happy modeling,

Barry

• 2 months later...

Helo Barry!

Any Progress on the "Sader"? I'm Just curious to see what fixes youve come up with, what you have so far is looking great.. Im about to start mine and so far have laid out the correct shapes as you did for the nose bulges either side of the radar cone/nose. Its so much eaiser to see them on the French version and Im glad you caught it and pointed it out for us all.

Paul

Paul,

I have gotten stalled out as of late.

Seem to have too many irons in the fire right now to really get the juices flowing on either the Crusader the SLUF the Phantom or F-80.

You can see part of the problem.

I earn my living from the Corporate Jet business "Gulfstream Aerospace" and with all the help we are getting from the "new" Washington Establishment.

You know those "Evil Corporations and Wealthy Folks" that invest in American jobs like mine!

Sorry, got off track a little but not to worry.

Because of their extra efforts we are going to get a 5 week furlough in July so I will have plenty of time to catch up on my modeling.

Could be worse though, a lot of others are getting more than furloughs.

On a brighter note,

I received the new Aires Cockpit for the F-8E/H and it is very nice and along with Harold's Early F-8 Seat I am ready to chug forward again.

I need to add a few more details to the Burned Nozzle and I should be ready to close up the Fuselage.

Because I am building an in-flight display I will save a huge amount of time by not having to build the wheel wells.

I hope to make up for that with a nicely detailed deployed Speed Brake along with the deployed IFR Probe.

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Barry

• 2 months later...

Back to the F-8 at least for a couple of days.

I received the Aires Cockpit and man is it another super nice set, very much like the A-7 I am using in that build.

As I intend to build an In-Flight Display and was not going to spring for a detailed cockpit that would be largely hidden I couldn't help myself.

So using the Aires Cockpit and AMS Resins Mk 5 Seat and Master Details Pilot here we go.

The pilot is Master Details USAF Vietnam era figue and it is super nice.

I have conversed with Stephen at Master Details and he has a USN/USMC Vietnam era Pilot in works for "late summer".

So I am using this figure for fitting and intend to use the USN figure when it become available.

Barry

post-4217-1244052314.jpg

In the photos you can see that the cockpit is not completely fitted to fuselage.

I also discovered “after the fact” that the

The Aires kit is designed to have the cockpit side wall attached to the cockpit tub then fitted to fuselage.

I found it better to attach side walls to fuselage independent of the tub though I used the tube to properly position them in fuselage.

This allowed me to better position the side walls to the cutouts for the windscreen. It is a critical position to the interior frame that is molded into the side wall pieces.

post-4217-1244052896.jpg

It always perplexes me when fitting a scale figure to a scale ejection seat. “Never Works”

When I first placed the seat into the cockpit it looked a little high so I removed material from the bottom of the seat until I got it where I think a pilot would position himself while maneuvering to accomplish aerial refueling. Seat set high for good forward and over the side visibility. When I place the figure in the seat his head was above the top of the ejection seat and would have been several inches outside the canopy.

I first adjusted the figure like I want it to look then I removed material for the seat cushion and seat back as well as the figure. I did not have to cut any body parts so all in all the figure is very accurately scaled.

The following photos show the area of the seat where I removed material and how the pilot looks position in the aircraft.

post-4217-1244054217.jpg