Eclipse Model Design 1/32 Hawker Tempest V master patterns

Derek B

Derek wrote:

So, Derek, I'm guessing this is the answer as regards the Beaufighter interior as well? I have 2 waiting...

Hi Mike,

I have four waiting! :rolleyes:

The short answer is yes, but it will be completed before the Tempest will be completed, but don't ask me exactly when! ;) (I hope to pick up the Beaufighter patterns again by the end of this year).

Cheers

Derek

You can put me down for a Tempest. I just ordered a Tiffie from MDC, man, they would look sweeeet sitting together on my shelf. Keep up the great work. I can't wait to see the finished kit - that wing is going to be one big ole' hunk of resin!!! :D

Scott Gentry

Scott,

Thanks for the kind words.

Harvey,

I do not know how much this kit shall cost by the time it is ready for production, but I expect that is shall compare favourably with what ever the MDC Ki-61 and Typhoon will cost at that time, and yes, it is 1/32 scale.

Regards

Derek

• 5 months later...

:o B)

I am very busy at the moment guys - both with life and pattern making. I haven't forgotten about the Tempest, it is just 'resting' whilst I produce other more urgent patterns for other people. Once I do catch up, I intend to produce my Corsair and Beaufighter bits first - that should then (hopefully) set things up for the completion of the Tempest kit.

Thanks for your paitence ;)

Derek

Dave/Harvey,

My intention is to produce two basic interior detail sets for the Revell 1/32 Beaufighter kit. The first one shall be a complete full length interior shell, in two haves, with floor and wing spars/rib sections. The second one shall be just the cockpit and observer's/gunner's sections, with full equipment. I may also produce and sell the internal equipment seperate as well.

The idea is that if a modeller wishes to fully detail the inerior of their Beaufighter, they can buy the basic full length interior shells/floor, and detail it themselves to taste - this should not 'break the bank' in terms of cost to the modeller. All of the interior equipment fit can be bought as an option (together, they would probably cost more than the basic purchase price of the kit).

The two seperate cockpit and observer's positions would come as seperate, but complete detail sets - again, the cost of both together would probably be less than the purchase price of the kit, but maybe not by much. All of the final costings would have to be worked out when they are ready for production, so no promises! :lol:

Following that, I have corrected Beaufighter transperancies, dihedral tailplanes, undercarriage detail sets, engine cowlings, exhausts and a TF.X and DAP.21 conversion in hand (maybe even an NF.II with Merlins, but we'll see). However, the first things I wish to produce are the F4-U1 Corsair birdcage conversion set and corrected nose ring cowl (for both Revell and Trumpeter kits).

Cheers

Derek

Hi Derek, If you are going to all the considerable trouble to detail the innards, why not make it easier on yourself and correct all the external fuselage shapes and cast it all as one piece (or two halves) to replace the revell fuselages. Dimensions are fine but there are some shape issues which need fixing. Nose cross sections are wrong, a correct canopy wont fit on, and fuselage cross sections need to be refined. With complete inner and outers you could mould easier, and more accurately.

greg

Hi Derek, If you are going to all the considerable trouble to detail the innards, why not make it easier on yourself and correct all the external fuselage shapes and cast it all as one piece (or two halves) to replace the revell fuselages. Dimensions are fine but there are some shape issues which need fixing. Nose cross sections are wrong, a correct canopy wont fit on, and fuselage cross sections need to be refined. With complete inner and outers you could mould easier, and more accurately.

greg

Very good point Greg. If I were to start again, then this may be an option I would consider. However, knowing me, having made a correct fuselage, I would be disatisfied with the the rest of the kit and therfore feel compelled to make new wings etc to match the improved fuselage :rolleyes: (the other thing against this is cost - a complete fuselage would probably come out at nearly twice the cost of the basic kit!).

I have already made and (largely) detailed the fuselage shells and floor. I am aware of the incorrect fuselage nose shape for the later canopy, and I have alrady allowed for this with a new nose insert (which also makes allowance for the future Sperry autopilot fairing of the DAP.21 aircraft).

Derek

• 11 months later...
Got my hopes up when I saw a new posting.... :coolio:

I am currently trying to figure out a way to make a Tempest out of the MDC Typhoon fuselage and the Hobby Craft Sea Fury wings. It is possible, but will be a lot of work...

If I go forward with it I will post it up.