Cast Metal Landing Gear

ironman1945

Guys

I need some advice.

I've been tinkering with Trumpeter's P-38, and because of weight considerations (ie weights in the nose and nacelles so it wont be a tail sitter), am thinking of building it with Scale Aircraft Conversions metal landing gear.

But I remember reading somewhere that because of the weight, metal landing gear will eventually warp out of true.

Has anyone experienced this before, and if so, do you have a solution?

Thanks

Dave/Ironman1945

I've been tinkering with Trumpeter's P-38, and because of weight considerations (ie weights in the nose and nacelles so it wont be a tail sitter), am thinking of building it with Scale Aircraft Conversions metal landing gear.

But I remember reading somewhere that because of the weight, metal landing gear will eventually warp out of true.

Has anyone experienced this before, and if so, do you have a solution?

I've been wondering about this myself and suspect that the answer depends upon the particular alloy from which metal landing gear are made. For example, I know that the white-metal struts in Scratchbuilders kits tended to sag, whereas those cast in brass by G Factor Models are quite strong. Therefore, I hope that any replies to Dave's question will indicate the manufacturer of the metal 'gear on which the poster's experience is based. And more specifically: Is anyone here acquainted with the durability of the aftermarket struts manufactured by Scale Aircraft Conversions?

Charles Metz

i myself can't really answer the question at hand, but i've been considering a metal gear (whichever make it would be) for the P38 nightlightning i'm building right now, but figuring i'd distribute the weight evenly over the complete model in the area infront of the main(kit) gear and "testing" the construction while building, i'll have a fair chance the gear won't buckle........i hope...... :lol:

Jack.

Hey Guys

Thanks for your response.

Charles, yes I agree it depends on the alloy itself; I am sure brass would not be a problem. The SAC gear I have are made of some wort of white metal alloy and were in fact originally a bit out of true, so I went and bent them back. Mind you I believe it took far more force then this model could ever weigh (especially with the weight distributed over 3 gear legs), but it started me thinking of the long term effects of the lead weights I will be using to ensure this beast is not a tailsitter (by the way Charles, did you ever get the wider tires for your Z?).

For Texas; yes I have been thinking of doing just that, building them out of brass rod and tube, or at least combining brass rod and tube with the SAC gear. But the truth is I am feeling awfully lazy after spending so long on the Whirlwind; I am kind of dreading the idea.

Ahhh then again maybe I shouldnt be so lazy! :lol:

Dave/Ironman1945

I wrote to Ernie Gee of G-Factor and this is his repsonse (I hope he doesn't mind that I post his response):

Hello Mr. Valdez,

I still plan to do Lightning gear however they will not be out for another few months. I'm working on 32nd jet stuff right now. I don't know if you can wait but you are right about the kit gear, they are flimsy.

Some of you may recall that I started on a LSP Pacific build converting a P-38L to a J. Technical factors and the fact that I had my right hand crushed in a moving accident at work forced me to postpone the build temporarily. When I resumed construction, I found that the kit supplied main gear are too flimsy to support the build and the combination of lead shot installed in the engines and gondola. The pewter type metal of SAC will sag in due course. Thus, I have postponed the build until Ernie Gee saves the day.

To paraphrase Nimitz and his famous inquiry, "Where is Task Force 38? ,...the world wonders". Where are those P-38 landing gear,....the world wonders?

I wrote to Ernie Gee of G-Factor and this is his repsonse (I hope he doesn't mind that I post his response):

Hello Mr. Valdez,

I still plan to do Lightning gear however they will not be out for another few months.

That's great news; thanks!

Charles Metz

No; I only use the Z3 on sunny weekends and realized that I get more than the recommended annual allowance of inner-ear stimulation from my M3. :lol:

Charles Metz av-53.gif

I knew it, Charles is a maniac at heart... :D

hi guys,

I'll chat to a few people tomorrow regarding castable alloys and get back to you. We use plenty of course in Dentistry but they tend to be expensive precious metal alloys.( hypoallergenic and long lasting) I suspect some of the home castable alloys have a high % of lead which would lower the melting point making the process easier...albeit with less rigidity as the end result. I'm pretty sure Radu would have researched this already as part of the planning for the Arado build. He might have some facts that may be of help.

Hey Tim...hope you get better soon eh.. :lol:

Cheers Matty

This is one of those "you pays your money and takes your chances" things in buying white metal landing gear. The area where it will be the weakest is the axle adapter area where it is the thinnest and most likely to be bent or broken. Too much rigidity and it will snap if mishandled, to malleable and it will sag over time. Castings of any kind are always inherently weaker than something made from solid stock.

As texas mentioned, best way around it is to make your own from tubing and flat stock.

Well, white metal covers a large spectrum of alloys (lead, tin, bysmuth, antimony, etc), each with its own strengths and weaknesses. It is impossible for one to talk about the "weakness" or "strength" of white metal legs unless one knows the exact formula of the metal used.

The main legs of my Arado 234 are a white metal alloy with a brass core - I personally think it is overkill, but seeing that brass rod in there gives peace of mind like nothing else <_< It will take an awful lot of effort to bend them!

There are high impact resins that are stronger than white metal and easier to work with - that would be my choice. The detail you can get on such legs is exquisite.

If you want my opinion, use the plastic legs that come with the kit. All you need to do is to reinforce them. Drill a hole lengthwise from the top and superglue a metal rod in there. That should take care of it. Even if you put a lot of weight in the nose, the fulcrum is still on the main legs and they will take the bulk of the stress, so they are your priority.

HTH

Radu

Thanks for your continued input gents. I have decided to stop being lazy and will be giving a go at this with brass stock.

Radu, I hadnt thought about drilling through the kit gear to reinforce; I may try that as well for the heck of it.

Charles... an M3 as well? I need to get into your line of work!

Dave/Ironman1945 <_<