Me-163 Komet

Astro32

Last night I glued the 'pit tub into the right hand fuselage side, and it went surprisingly well; only a little additional grinding was necessary, and it looks great! Some more work on the left side of the 'pit and I'll be able to bring the fuselage halves together!

• 11 years later...

Major, major bump!

While cleaning and organizing, I found my old Komet! I've moved this one up to the front of the line as it's so close. Got a lot done today and it's doing well. I really do need to set up an image hosting site, and I'll be sharing more pics of it.

Lots done. The canopy came with a deep scratch, almost a gouge really. Last night I attacked it starting with 600 grit, then finished with my Micromesh kit. This morning I polished it further with some automotive swirl remover and some Zymol cleaner-wax. Looks better than new! Landing skid is finished and ready for some 02. Sure is fragile though. Control surfaces have been spruced up with end caps made of .030 strip. Then on to more filling up of the awful fabric effect on them.

Afyer polishing the canopy, there was a problem: the molded-in framing detail was gone too. Waiting in the wings was a True Details Fast Mask kit. Remember those? So I carefully lifted one of the canopy masks and transferred it to a piece of my favorite aluminum duct tape. After carefully cutting around the mask, I had an aluminum canopy frame! But I had to allow for the slight dimensional difference and voila! A self-adhesive canopy frame. Worked out brilliantly.