Spit pit- Trumps 1:24 trop

AndyB

And Smithery, please post pics. Your camera work is better than mine.

My camera work may be a little better, but your build work is far better than mine.

As an FYi, with respect to camera work, my set up is certainly nothing fancy. I'm using a 6 megapixel Olympus UZ-500 point and shoot. The camera has numerous settings for aperature, etc, but I leave it on Auto most of the time, but select the Macro setting for focus. I have and use a tripod, a basic $25Cdn item from the local camera shop. Lighting is nothing fancy either, with recessed pot lights in the basement directly over the bench, and a halogen desk lamp. I also have one of the magnifiers with a flourescent bulb, but only use it to remove excessive shadow. Camera flash is left off. I shoot pics in the highest resolution available to me (2816 x 2112), upload them into my web gallery that way, and select the 800 x 600 option for display on websites. That way, folks with slower connections don't have to wait half an hour to load the pics, and I don't lose any quality to compression. Rather than fiddle with camera settings, I just let my photo software correct exposure and color. In my case, I use ACDSee8.

HTH

Thanks for the tips Smithery, I'll look up some decent software.

I am now torn between building a little camera bed or continuing with the build. :)

Nah....I'll play with the spit a while longer. :P

Andy, this is super work you're doing on this big baby mate. That cockpit looks right on the money. Your build, along with Smithery's spitfire, give me the "spitfire fix" I so desperately need after my own Airfix build ground to a halt months ago (due to a variety of circumstantial reasons)

I love those stencils you used, the whole pit has come up a treat. Are you gonna show the engine by any chance? :)

Cheers, and keep up the great work.

Ango.

Funny you should mention the engine......

I spent some not inconsiderable time building my own firewall and bulkhead, making all the filters, hydraulic, oil and fuel runs. I had altered the rear of trumps merlin so that the supercharger was more realistic and I was working on the ignition harness when......I lost the will to live. :P

I had spent about 50 to 80 hours on the engine and I wasn't even halfway and I have to admit that I have other projects on the burner waiting for me to finish this one. It became a payoff between effort on this and wanting to see it finished.

I have also changed my diorama idea a little in my head, so there was no reason for the covers to be off.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, you won't be able to see the engine.

It was fun getting the covers to fit, considering I had chopped off the front frames. Hee. :)

Wow Andy, I love what you've done with the pit...thats awesome. I'm seriously using the shareware version of knowledge when it comes to spitfires but its looks nicely detailed.

I use infranview for photo manipulation. Its very basic, its free to download, but very quick and easy to use. If you google it you'll find download sites. Picassa is another I think. Plenty of discussion on LSP about them the last few years.

This might make your life easier. It was Piets idea but I reckon if you can make that pit you could knock one of these up in a few hours...check it out mate..Piets lightbox

Thanks for all the detailed info mate...superbulous

Cheers Matty

More shots.

I was working on a few odds and ends over the last few days. Here is progress.

Trumpeter supply you with two sets of props in the tropical set. One of which is supposed to be rotol. Unfortunately they have made the blades with a strange flat profile at the rear part of the blade nearest the spinner. See below

post-1186-1162717532.jpg

So I have beefed them up a bit (I had bought replacement blades from MDC, which are beautiful but no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get them all straightened out to my satisfaction).

post-1186-1162717643.jpg

Still some shaping to do, but you get the idea.

Other work has included redoing the headrest and making the voltage regulator.

post-1186-1162717845.jpg

post-1186-1162717874.jpg

post-1186-1162717903.jpg

The colours on these shots are more true colour. The flash had turned the seat orange in previous shots :)

.....and finally, the fishtails have received a little treatment involving five different paint colours and two pastels and some foil to shape the exit ports. Too much time on such a small part really but the result will be very visible.

post-1186-1162718186.jpg

post-1186-1162718225.jpg

One more.

post-1186-1162718418.jpg

Oh and the blue box is my 'precious' box, for keeping the one ring in...I mean for keeping the delicate bits in. Just an old jewellery box. It keeps the in-progress parts from getting lost/damaged while i work on the rest.

Another bit for the blue box, I've been making the cockpit door, unpainted as yet and I still have the handle/spring mechanism to build. It has a light primer coat to show any imperfections before I carry on. That way I haven't wasted too much effort if I have to start over again (this is the third door).

Its made from a drinks can, plastic strip and wine bottle foil

post-1186-1162930680.jpg

I've also test fitted the MDC spinner with my altered kit 'rotol' blades. The tail plane is on now too. Starting to look more like a spit :lol:

post-1186-1162930900.jpg

The blisters above the wheel wells were re-aligned and reduced in size. They still aren't perfect, but better than the kits.

post-1186-1162930967.jpg

I'm waiting on some mesh from Hannants to finish the radiators/oil cooler and I have to work out what to do inside the trop filter yet.

Looking very nice Andy. I like the way you have used placards in your cockpit, and the torn seat back cushion looks very effective. I look forward to seeing this particular Spit completed.

Best regards

Derek

Andy,

That is really looking good. As a fellow member of the Trump Spit building fraternity, I tip my hat to a job well done. Despite my honorable intentions, I too will hide the engine behind the panel. I’m looking forward to seeing more photos of a job well done.

Earl