Me109's at last

bcauchi

Hi Brian

The pictures look great as does the landing gear. I see a couple of photo etch nuts on there. What kind did you use and their size? They are just right and I never know the right size to get so I never order them.

• 2 weeks later...

Time for another update. I have been putting together Radu's magnificent cockpit. What can I say, if you are building an Me109 and it does not have the Erla Haube, just get hold of these canopies, they are the ultimate and it is fantastically detailed. I hope I don;t mess up the rest of it. It has all come togeterh exceptionally well so far and I have tried out the clear parts which fit like a dream.

post-915-1184502813.jpg

Having put ths gem together I cannot live with the kti part for the rear canopy so I have put together the framing and hot formed the clear part. This will be fitted onto the frame. The frame was tubular around the edge of the rear area and the rest was square section. Here it is. Also there are two pistons, one on each side of the rear decking which possible blew off the back portion of the canopy when a crash landing was effected. these are missing in the kit. Please remeber that this is the old revell kit we are talking about although this is missing even in the newer kits.

post-915-1184502994.jpg

Looks fantastic Brian, thanks for the update - always inspirational! How's the fit of Radu's canopy to the old Revell kit? I asked Radu if it would fit, but he wasn't sure as he'd never tried it on the old beast.

Kev

Hi Brian

As a matter of fact I just wrote a message yeserday asking if you were going to use Radu's PE set and I am thrilled to see that you are. I will have to get a few. It is looking great and I never knew about those pistons until you pointed them out. Excellent!

Radu's canopy fits like a glove but the old revell 109 has been heavily modified to match the new Hasegawa offerings so as far as size goes, it is identical to them now. If you have any doubts about this just check out the previous posts where I showed the mods I did to the fuselage. Here is a final shot of the rest of the detail on the rear decking which is now complete.