Fw190D-11/12/13 etc Motorkanone

Hi all,

I have a question that has been bugging me for many weeks.   I have some good references but not the best.  I have searched high and low but cannot find any answer.

So here goes:

Is the Motorkanone ammo storage used on the Dora the same set up as the on the Ta152?  

Or in other words is there an ammo can that rests on top of the cowling?

I have the Flugzeug Classic extra teil 7 which shows a drawing of an ammo can on top of the empty cowling bay.  

Edit:  I have just ordered the ‘Yellow 10: The story of the ultra-rare Fw 190 D-13’ by Jerry Crandall.  Would that enlighten me?

Edited by Onspring
Add info

I thought that this would stump a lot of people!  From what I’ve just seen only drawing exist and they show an ammo box perched on the cowling shelf.  I didn’t see that coming…

I believe there are differences between the D-13 and the Ta152H as it pertains to the gun mounted within the engine.  The Ta152H had a 30mm Mk108 and the D-13 had a 20mm MG151.  The Z-M Ta152H kit depicts the 30mm ammo cannister as wrapping around the rear breech of the Mk108 cannon, directly behind the engine.

IMG-6859.jpg

The ammo cannister on the D-13 was located in the empty compartment normally occupied by the twin MG131 above the engine on the D-9.  This is a photo of Volume 2 of Jerry Crandall's excellent Dora book set showing the restored D-13.

image01.jpg

I hope that helps!

Posted (edited)

Great photos - but it does beg the question how a larger cannon along with ammo feed and chute as well as oil reserve can fit behind engine whereas a lighter cannon has to have the ammo box above?

I can only surmise and say it’s because the Ta152 was a later development (?), cannons less likely to jam being closer to the axis (?), a different engine (?) or a combination of some/all of these points (?)

Just as moot is that the D-12 also has the MK108. 

I think it’s interesting to know these factors if you want to build any of the later Dora’s with open cowlings - or even just the top gun flap open.  Loading ammo becomes a different operation between the 2 configurations for any dioramas 

So;

The Ta152 (Mk108) has everything tucked behind the engine block (and armour plate)

The Dora (Mk108) has the ammo can above and a crescent shaped oil tank integrated on the port engine bearer (with less protection)

The Ta152 was provisionally designed to be fitted with cowling guns.

The reason I point out these discrepancies is because it seems that only a very few kits have the correct configuration

Edited by Onspring

6 hours ago, Onspring said:

I can only surmise and say it’s because the Ta152 was a later development (?), cannons less likely to jam being closer to the axis (?), a different engine (?) or a combination of some/all of these points (?)

Because the Ta 152 fuselage was lengthened in that area. Compared to the Fw 190D series, the Ta 152's cockpit was positioned further aft of the wing, and the engine located further forward of the wing. Thus, there was more room inside the Ta 152's fuselage in that area.

HTH,

D

Posted (edited)

You saved our day! :rolleyes: I can now sleep!  Thanks!

On a serious note (I started it;)) how does one post pictures here?  I’m on an iPad 

Edited by Onspring

21 hours ago, Thunnus said:

I believe there are differences between the D-13 and the Ta152H as it pertains to the gun mounted within the engine.  The Ta152H had a 30mm Mk108 and the D-13 had a 20mm MG151.  The Z-M Ta152H kit depicts the 30mm ammo cannister as wrapping around the rear breech of the Mk108 cannon, directly behind the engine.

The ammo cannister on the D-13 was located in the empty compartment normally occupied by the twin MG131 above the engine on the D-9.  This is a photo of Volume 2 of Jerry Crandall's excellent Dora book set showing the restored D-13.

image01.jpg

I hope that helps!

Hey John,

It has also definitely convinced me to buy these volumes!  B)

40 minutes ago, Onspring said:

Hey John,

It has also definitely convinced me to buy these volumes!  B)

And try to pick up the JaPo Dora books as well!  Different but equally good, IMO!

On 4/18/2024 at 1:21 PM, Onspring said:

You saved our day! :rolleyes: I can now sleep!  Thanks!

On a serious note (I started it;)) how does one post pictures here?  I’m on an iPad 

Ipad user here.   First you need to find a photohosting site that plays well with the forum.  I use imageshack, there are others that will work.  Host the photo and then copy the url from there unto the post using “insert image from URL” button at the bottom right of the posting box.  

that works for me.