Eduard 1/72 Albatros DV

CANicoll

More building to support the WWI anniversary.  Beginning to love these 1/72 kits as they are quick builds and I like the wide range of colors to play with.  I am a LITTLE over the top on the colors but hey, why not!

DSC_0123_zpswthofcut.jpg

I'm already pretty well started but here is the update.  Fuselage decals tomorrow I hope.

DSC_0124_zpsizjfi4ck.jpg

These are fun kits.

Chris

Having some fit issues which are probably my own doing - due to a lack of familiarity with the planes and the kits and what to be looking out for.  Oh well, its a learning experience!

Here are the multi-part decals:

DSC_0291_zpsfjqfg0hr.jpg

And on the plane (but I'm not showing you the other side!  It a 'little' off.

DSC_0292_zpseu7okfoy.jpg

Still fun, but the rear elevators are mis aligned to the front wing.  The connection is far too strong for me to try and separate.  Oh well!  Pictures later.

Chris

Edited by CANicoll

Even in 1/72 scale, I find that making an alignment jig is quite useful.

Joe

Joe,  You know, I've rarely had the need for one, so it did not even cross my mind.  This is only the second WWI plane I've made and the first was a Revell 1:28 Triplane and despite its age, it was a straight forward build.  THIS I should have known about.  Lesson learned.  Next time I'll tack on the lower wing then set the elevators and rudder if nothing else.  I do like these little kits I must say.. Plus they are pretty cheap.

I don't always use a jig, but with some of the old kits I have run into some warpage problems, and a jig certainly is useful in straightening out those issues. Especially when you start going to longer wing/multi-strut bombers. I also use CA glue most of the time, so by setting everything up with a jig, you know it is right and once you apply the glue, there is little time for "tweaking"...

Another method I use a lot (mainly because I like to scratchbuild ) is small brass rod locating pins. Even for kits, I will often cut off the molded pins, drill holes exactly where they need to be and insert small brass pins. Then I can dry fit the pieces and know they are right before applying glue. One benefit I have found with biplanes, is that once they are rigged they are quite strong !

Joe

Joe,

So it vexed me so much I worked the tail to come off and reset it.  Funny thing is that I usually use CA for things like that but I didn't this time and I was able to work it free undamaged.  Whew!  Actually, as you pointed out, the fuselage is warped just a bit but it is far less noticeable now than it was.

Lesson learned for next time!  Working on the Revell Spad XIII right.  Whole different level of things to deal with!

Chris

Just about finished.  Have a few detail items to paint on the fuselage mostly (and that I had completely forgotten about).  I just had no way of doing even the limited rigging on this plane, so small!

DSC_0302_zpsvnekuuar.jpg

DSC_0298_zpsnq0jp9e6.jpg

DSC_0300_zpsmqrw5lgr.jpg

DSC_0301_zpstu0gkrw0.jpg

Fun build!  But I need to really get better at doing WWI 1/72 planes. So freaking small!!  But I love the colors.

Chris