Iar81C

Steve Eagle

Just received the Azur-Frrom kit from Radu.  Whoa Nellie as they here in the West!!! I have already started cutting parts off the trees and doing rough fitting. I think this is possibly the best short-run kit I have seen.  I have built a number of the Special Hobby and Azur kits in the past, and this is hands down the best from what have seen in this genre of kits. It really appears to be closer to a regular injection moulded kit from one of the big boys.  Well done gentlemen, and thanks for your input Radu.

There is a well detailed cockpit and engine. Separate flying surfaces with all the hinges. Very good engine. PE and Resin for those areas that are best done by this mode.

I really am looking forward to this build. I don't what it is about this plane that I like so much- maybe its the slight resemblance to the Hughes racer.

I received my review sample yesterday and am already pulling the review together. And I agree Steve: it's a great little kit. I'm also planning to do a review build once one of the current pair is finished.

Kev

Oh, by the way, I received the following information in an email from FRROM:

And ... we forgot to add this sentence in the building notice (Step 18, page 18): "Dry fit the parts A3 and A5 around the engine and only then glue them together with part A4. Assembled cowling sits tightly around the engine and cannot be removed."

I'll be including it in the review too.

Kev

I received the kit on Saturday, very impressive, though I would say Radu's decals are a must, the yellow on the kit ones are too pale, I've taken a comparison photo of the kit ones with Radu's IAR.80M sheet, left to right;

IMAG0441_zpse5633585.jpg

Edited by Kagemusha

I received the kit on Saturday, very impressive, though I would say Radu's decals are a must, the yellow on the kit ones are too pale, I've taken a comparison photo of the kit ones with Radu's IAR.80M sheet, left to right;

IMAG0441_zpse5633585.jpg

I dont want to judge anybody or tell this one is better than this one, but i think it is difficult to appreciate the colors while the decals are still on the support sheet. There are many parameters : the support color, the decals transparency and so on... And also : what were the real romanian colors, and then what about the scale effect? And then again, the quality of the decals themselves (thickness, reaction to decal solution...), which is, for me, more important than the color accuracy.

But there is something sure, that's the Radu decals set provide a big bunch of different scheme, so it is definitely a must have ! (i will buy one for sure when i will order the model)

Edited by Zero77

You can also factor in photography; the contrast between the two examples above are lessened by it, with my eyes it's more so, but the acid test is when you paint the various parts of the model RLM 04 and the yellow on the national markings is out - you pays your money you takes your choice, and I want a skull and crossbones on my IAR.80M!

Interesting, since Radu did the artwork on the kit decals as well :)

I agree this appears to be the best kit from Azur I have seen based on what is in the box - it's very impressive in person.  I'm hoping it builds a lot easier than the other Azur/Special Hobby kits I've built already :)

Doug

Edited by DougN

I do all my decal artwok using standard Pantone palettes, and that is what I always send for printing. Maybe different printers use different palettes or mixes, I don't know...

Anyway, I hope to have one more decal sheet for this kit soon.

Radu

This is for Radu.  Small detail question.  The kit seems to have an incorrect smaller circuit breaker panel on the right fuselage side interior. According to the pictures in your book the -C should have a bigger panel than what is in the kit.  Is this observation correct?

Just to say that, once more, Radu's service is one of the greatest ! Last week, i ordered the kit and a small bunch of other stuff on tuesday evening, and it was at my door on friday. Impressive !

The only bad thing is only my own responsibility : i've forgot to order the decal sheet... (but i will correct this mistake soon).

Edited by Zero77

This is for Radu.  Small detail question.  The kit seems to have an incorrect smaller circuit breaker panel on the right fuselage side interior. According to the pictures in your book the -C should have a bigger panel than what is in the kit.  Is this observation correct?

Hi Steve,

Apologies for the delay in replying... I was away for a few days and I never saw this. Somebody told me about your question.

Can you please tell me what part you are referring to?

Radu

Just to say that, once more, Radu's service is one of the greatest ! Last week, i ordered the kit and a small bunch of other stuff on tuesday evening, and it was at my door on friday. Impressive !

The only bad thing is only my own responsibility : i've forgot to order the decal sheet... (but i will correct this mistake soon).

Thanks zero77 for the vote of confidence.

Radu

Radu, what  I am referring to is the rectangular box moulded  onto the right side cockpit fuselage wall.  I looks like this might be the oxygen mask storage box  (#23)  as shown on page 83 in your book.  On page 109, however, there is a depiction of additional circuit breakers for the 80C and 81C-#5 and 5a- under the electrical system.  I know this is being very nitpicky, but I would like to create this panel before I zip up the fuselage if that is what should be there. I know you don't have these details memorized.  Again, thanks to your efforts and those of Azur for this kit.

Steve

I know what you mean. The 81-C and the 80-C had an extra bank of curcuit breakers for the guns. The kit does not have it and you will need to scratch-build it. Also missing is the ammo counter for the MG 151/20 - it was mounted under this bank of breakers.

I will add some info when I get back.

Hth,

Radu