Bf-109E-7 North Africa

csavaglio

This is my return to modeling after moving more than half way across the country. The little Fokker triplane has me completely disinterested, so it's not helping me get back into it. I decided to start on this guy for a few reasons.....first was that I've built 3 of these Eduard 109's in the past, including a straight E-1, a Spanish Civil War E, and a conversion to Udet's racing plane. Despite "grave" inaccuracies, it is by far my favorite 109 kit and a relative breeze to build. The Profipack gives just enough PE to get good detail without going overboard. This kit was also ear marked to get the full Brassin treatment, but I acquired another Emil kit and so I can, in good conscience, build this one sealed up.

Anyway, without further stalling for time, here's my start. Since it's going to be a desert bird, the cockpit got a good wash, some streaking, and some sandy pigments to further grime it up. It does look slightly more subtle in person without a flash going off. I added a bit of folded paper for a map to go in the pocket. Other than that, it's out of box so far. This will get the Brassin wheel set, but everything else will be OOB.

C

20130618_190628.jpg

20130618_190750.jpg

20130618_190818.jpg

Edited by csavaglio

Looks great to me, even with all of the "inaccuracies". I still like Eduard kits, and looks like you've got a great start on this one.

Will be interested to see the paint scheme, the desert -109s were always painted very distinctively with the big RLM 80 blothces all over.

Matt :party0023:

Thanks, guys. It is the kit cockpit. The kit is the E-7 Profipack, so it comes with a bit of PE. I added the little "map" in the pocket and I cut the oxygen bottle holder down by a couple holes since it's a little too tall. Other than that, it's totally OOB. These Eduard 109's are some of my favorite kits. I got the the lower section of the instrument panel together last night. I have to dust it up a little, touch up a few things, and I can seal up the fuselage tonight. These guys go together very, very quickly with only a few trouble spots, especially since the printed PE included is a big time saver. Unless, of course, you start trying to correct all of the millimeter sized inaccuracies.....then things get hairy pretty quickly.

I'm at work, but I'll post pics later on tonight.

I'm still pondering the paint scheme. I've read somewhere in my books that the 109E's that were sent to Africa were probably not factory painted in RLM 79/80....something about the RLM specs on the colors and the timing of when they were built being very close. There's some idea that the factory didn't do the green splotches....which is why most F models were just plain RLM 79 over blue. The idea was that they were painted using Italian paint stocks in theater. It'd make sense, since the Italian's did the tan with green blotches on their aircraft.

The colors are fairly close and, once weathered/sun faded, I'm not sure there'd be a ton of difference. I'll have to see how I feel about it when I get to shooting paint.

Chris

Edited by csavaglio

Just a few progress pics. I dusted everything and got the fuselage halves together. As I did with my previous builds of this kit...aside from the racing version with a resin nose.... I'll be mounting the engine block and horse shoe shaped oil tank inside since it looks better than the hollow space you'd see if you seal it up with empty, the way Eduard wants you to. Basically, I just use the engine block and top plate. The prop shaft locates it and I'll grind the sides down so that I can mount some resin exhausts in. If you do a little grinding to the front exhaust stub, you can actually use the Quickboost exhaust meant for the Hasegawa kits. I did this on the first one since I built it before they came out with ones specific for this kit. Some times, they're a little easier to come by.

I hadn't glued one side of the firewall/gun bay floor, so it looks a little of in the pics.

Like I said, these Eduard kits go together fast....

20130619_213340.jpg

20130619_213349.jpg

20130619_213357.jpg

20130619_213404.jpg

Edited by csavaglio

Thanks, guys......

Just a quick update from the weekend. I wanted to show what has to be done to make the engine block fit under the hood while closing everything up. Really, the MG's and their feeds have to be cut way down for the gun cover to fit but leaving enough to show there's something there when you look in the slots. Same for the motor. Basically, the block, prop shaft, top plate and oil tank parts are used. I ground the top of the motor away to clear the gun troughs as well as the part of the cylinder heads that the exhaust stubs would mount to. I probably removed a bit more than needed, but the front edge of the block will be seen through the slots instead of empty space. The bottom of the motor is supported with a piece of scrap stock on top of the oil cooler part. The exhausts can be fed in after painting.

The airframe is together. The pre-sanded putty makes it look pretty rough, but I assure you, the fit isn't bad in most places. I did have to shim the front and rear edge of the lower wing/fuselage joints with some strip stock. Otherwise, it's just normal seam work. I was more careful than in previous builds about fitting the nose pieces and managed to get everything together without needing much more than some scribing.

C

20130621_213458.jpg

20130623_214404.jpg

Edited by csavaglio

Guest Peterpools

Super wok on thr drop tank and gear. The weathering is right on the money: Used but not Abused.

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn: :popcorn: