Trumpeter 1/32 Messerschmitt Me262

ajaycad

Thought I would start posting my first WIP.

Its a Trumpeter 1/32 Me262. The kit is the 262A-2a version, but its basically a A-1a with an extra sprue for the bombs and pylons. I wasn't overly keen on the colour scheme options in the kit, and couldn't find an alternative decal set for a A-2a, so I have decided to build the A-1a version instead.

IMG_2182_zps9b1ddb3d.jpg

The fuselage moulding represents a 1a as the 2a has a small panel under the canopy on the port side, which is not moulded on this example, although it would only be a 30 second re-scribe job to correct and you would have an A-2a.

I'm only working from one main reference, Richard A Franks, Airframe and Miniature no1, and of course the internet. The decal options for a 1a are much more readily available, which then presented another problem, which one !

I have finally settled on Wk. Nr 501232 "Yellow 5" from KG(J) 6 and the Eagle Cals decal set, its the one with the red and black chequered tail band, shown below.

IMG_2188_zpse797bd9c.jpg

Other extras are Mastercasters wheels, Aires cockpit and wheel wells, HGW Seatbelts and Eduard exterior etch set and canopy masks.

I only started the build 3 days ago, but I work shifts so hopefully I should post updates every week.

Work so far:

IMG_2181_zps4f25a7d0.jpg

To enable the Aires tub to fit, the internal frame detail needed removing, so out came my Christmas present, a nice new Dremel. Wish I had one of these a long time ago - saves so much time and effort. I think a bit more is going to have to come off though.

IMG_2178_zps6eaadcc8.jpg

The Aires tub viewed from below. As usual the Aires stuff is first class. The components were initially sprayed with RLM02 grey, however most references suggested the U/C bays on some aircraft could also be natural metal. Considering that materials were in short supply at the end of the war, and not having a picture of the real aircraft, I used a bit of "artistic licence" and compromised. The RLM 02 was lightly oversprayed with Alclad aluminium, an oil wash of lamp black applied, then lightly drybrushed with Tamiya rust pallette. Wiring on this aircraft was apparently yellow in colour, so this was picked out as shown - The camera tends to show the yellow more than in reality - its much more subdued than the picture shows.

The cockpit was sprayed with RLM66 as usual for this era, Oil wash, drybrushed and the details picked out.

IMG_2186_zpsb8e6b72b.jpg

And thats about it so far, the next step is to work out where all the control linkages go, which is really the only criticism I have of the Aires instructions as they are not very clear. I cannot find a decent picture of the undercarriage bay on a 262, so its going to be a challenge.

Andy

Welcome aboard Andy!

:post1:

That's gorgeous work mate! I built the Hasegawa kit a while back, and scratch-built much of the wheel bay area, which may be of some use to you:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=2969

If I can remember what references I used, I'll let you know. Looking forward to following your progress!

Kev

Have managed to progress quite well on this project. The fuselage halves are joined and the Aires cockpit tub has been fitted but still needs all the detail items adding. This will have to be done before the lower wing assembly is attached as the space will be quite limited.

IMG_2191_zps868cb154.jpg

The fit of the halves is quite good generally. I will have to re-scribe some panel lines and I've invested in one of Radu Brinzan's Rivet-R tools as some of the rivet detail has been lost.

The fit of the Aires front wheel well is a challenge as it doesn't sit too well in the front nose section. It wouldn't be an issue if the gun bay was going to be closed up, but I intend to open one or both sides and add some extra detail.

IMG_2192_zps46fa28f3.jpg

A few other minor jobs have been done which were not worth photographing, such as the main and nose oleos, although they still require paint. The HGW seatbelts have arrived. I have used these before on my 1/32 Tamiya P-51 Mustang (posted in ready for inspection) and these belts are brilliant. Much better IMO that etch and look much more realistic. I will post a picture of those once attached to the seat.

Anyhow, that's all for now. Any tips or questions are very welcome, and if anyone has any photographs of this particular aircraft (Wk Nr 501232) I would be keen to hear from you.

Cheers

A little progress since the last post. The cockpit tub has been fitted and all the control rods/detail items have been fitted. The length of sprue was fitted to give the Aires resin parts some strength, as a little sanding was required to allow the wing sub-assembly to sit correctly.

IMG_2199_zpsb42533e7.jpg

IMG_2201_zpse5e5b3f5.jpg

The only other work I have managed to complete is fitting the HGW seat harness to the seat. As I've said before, HGW seat harnesses are, in my opinion much better than etched items as they are made from fabric and sit more realistically - those of you who have used them probably know what I mean.

IMG_2208_zpsb6267fba.jpg

Just a light raw umber oil wash applied and careful dry-brushing to finish them off.

That's all for now.

Andy

February 7th 2013:

Day off work today, so I have managed to spend a good few hours on the 262, so I set myself the goal of finishing the gun bay. I wanted to pretty much go to town on this area, so plenty of lead wire to replicate the cabling in this bay. As I have previously mentioned, the majority of the smaller gauge wiring on this aircraft is an off-yellow colour. This really makes it stand out and provides a nice contrast to liven up an area.

As per my references, the bay was sprayed Alclad dull aluminium and given a black oil wash. The guns themselves were dry-brushed with one of those Tamiya gun metal weathering pastel to highlight the raised detail.

7thFeb2013_12_zps53b30413.jpg

7thFeb2013_11_zps187a53d1.jpg

7thFeb2013_13_zps1a571e87.jpg

7thFeb2013_14_zps832c152e.jpg

7thFeb2013_16_zps9071e83f.jpg

I found some old decals in the spares box, so attached them to the gun junction boxes. The macro setting on my digital camera can actually define the word "notice" in English, however in reality you can't read it with the naked eye, or at least I cant anyway.

7thFeb2013_17_zpsf236cc83.jpg

Edited by ajaycad