Me 262 Sturmvogel

alaninaustria

Hej guys.... I have been "picking" away for the last 10 months or so on this 262 .... and since my camera was on the blitz I never had a chance to take any pics along the way... but no worries mate... others have gone this way before and there are many in detail threads of this great model from Trumpeter.... so just relax and enjoy the pictures....

What has been done thus far is the inner gear bay has been finished up and the cockpit too.... and I have started to give her a coating of thinned Mr. Surfacer 500 (thinned with Tamiya Laquer thinner).... as I plan on polishing it up and starting with a ALCLAD aluminum surface.... :lol:

I am so glad that these builds (Spitfire/Ju 87/ and this Me 262) have taken so long.... why you ask? Well.... because Jay's new sanding sponges have really helped me out with getting things how I want them in terms of fit and finish... :rolleyes: Thanks Jay!

post-10-1165093706.jpg

post-10-1165093727.jpg

There are a few sink areas to fill on those turbos (leading dege area of the air inlet section).... and a few swipes with Jay's purple sponge sticks and I have managed to get a good fit between all the parts...

I sanded out the "mounting" lugs that Trumpeter engineered in there.... and sanded down the sides a bit to smooth them out.... there are a few small linkages in there all made from streched sprue and the hydraulic lines coming stright out are mounted in tiny little brass hexagonal 'nuts' courtesy of Klaus (thanks again Klaus! And Gemo!)... I used ALCLAD Aluminum and Steel in the bay as not all parts are made of Aluminum... the real aircraft had different parts made from different metals. And ofcourse I allowed myself some artistic licence and sprayed RLM 02 around to emulate a "primmer" effect on the cockpit tub. :rolleyes:

And yes... all that yellow coloured wiring is streched sprue cut/stacked/and shaped .... then painted! :D :lol: I had practice with this when I did my Stuka cockpit! ;) B) I used Tamiya tape painted black to tie the cables together... then sealed it all with a drop of future....

post-10-1165093918.jpg

post-10-1165093947.jpg

And another shot of the Me 262 ....

A note: there must be 50 grams of lead shot in this nose section... I drilled a small hole in the top section on both sides and poured some lead shot (underneath the forward nose section where the cannon muzzles are) in there and sealed it off with some CA. I was affraid of having a 'tailsitter'....

I was a little disappointed with the fit of the gun covers... now I know why so many guys have left them open! :D The tolerances are a bit big.. but as my loving wife pointed out: the color photos of V056 in volume 3 of Smith/Creek show a rather 'gapped' fitting of the gun covers... B) :rolleyes: :lol:

post-10-1165094223.jpg

post-10-1165094233.jpg

And the landing gear.... I really do have a "thang" for nice legs.... regardless of the type of bird!! :lol: :rolleyes:

Those oleo placards are from the remains of my MDC cockpit decals B)

I chucked those oleos into the lathe (Taig lathe from Lee Valley Tools in Canada) and polished the rams up with a 1000 grit wheel. Trumpeter has really out did themselves with this kit... and I really am looking forward to their new two seater that is supossed to be coming in 2007!

post-10-1165094395.jpg

post-10-1165094408.jpg

Guest LSP_Jay L

That is some serious stuff Alan. Beuatiful start mate, and I am glad you are finding the sticks to be very useful. And I almost forgot, I hope the 262 wheels will be ready in a couple of weeks so I hope they will make it onto this model!

Cheers mate,

Jay

Great progress Alan. The wiring in the main gear bay is awesome. I never thought of using stetched sprue. i used fuse wire and yours looks much better. I'm assuming you're using the metal gear legs since you've polished them on a lathe. Just wondering...the locating pin on the port side leg that aligns the upper gear door on my copy is off by 1/16th in. Therefore the door won't fit right. No problem with the plastic legs...they're indentical. Do you have that problem or do I have a lemon. Also, I can't wait for Jay's wheels.

Cheers,

Jerry

Hi Alan;

Looks great - the placard decals on the gear look sweet; the gear themselves are also sweet. Great tip to polish the ram the way you did, looks real. Looking forward to more as you progress with this build.

Jimbo

• 3 months later...

Well guys... I have been catching up a bit with this build..... getting the bench ready for the upcoming Hasegawa 1/32 P-47 Jug!

I have completed the priming with sprayed Mr. Surfacer 1000, thinned with Laquer Thinner. Polished and then preshaded with RLM 66....I decided not to do an undercoat of ALCLAD... lightly sanded and then RLM 76 for the belly, and then RLM 75/74..... I really like the earlier Me 262 paint schemes with the grey on grey.... so I chose the Montex Masks 'White 4', flown by Lt. Schreiber.... Erprobungskommando 262.

It is not a perfect build, some seams didn't go together as I wished.... basically my own fault.... but I do like her! Enjoy the pics....

post-10-1175775267.jpg

another... here you can see the rescribed fuel hatches on the Jumo 004 engine intake.... I did alot of sanding and some of the detail disappeared in the process! I also had to redo the tabs on the inner most slats... the kit parts do not align all that well!

post-10-1175775340.jpg