Saburo Sakai's A6m2, Tamiya 1/32 Zero

cbk57

I have started work on the Tamiya A6m2b Zero.  It is a superb kit and I have been spending the last several weeks studying resources and gathering materials.  I purchased a copy of Aero Detail's Zero book.  I have been spending a lot of time studying j-aircraft.com and a couple other parties have helped me out with some details.  

Particularly George from Arawasi provided me a few key photos of Zero's at Tainan airbase.

Also Pat D a regular on Hyperscale sent me a ton of photos to help me out with radio details, or should I say non details.  As I have found out the plane I am building was sans radio equipment.  According to j-aircraft.com the radio equipment had not been fully integrated with the airframe to obtain good working reliability.  As a result on land based planes the equipment was frequently deleted.  The plane I am building in particular was recovered on Guadalcanal some years ago and it was determined it did not have radio equipment.  Saburo Sakai also has stated this plane was not radio equipped.  

To help out with my build I purchased the Big Ed Pe set, masterbarers machine guns, and the Burna decal sheet.

I started on the cockpit this weekend.  I feel one area where the Tamiya Zero is a little plain is in the cockpit.  The resources I have found show lots of raised rivets.  So I have added some in areas likely to be visible especially in light of radio deletion.  Also there are very prominent lightening holes in the double bulkhead behind the pilot.  My plan was to reproduce the double bulkhead idea however I found the kit part had a wide enough flange to carefully drill relief holes.  Now for a couple images.

DSCN0227_zps934a8358.jpgDSCN0224_zps2ae7f601.jpgDSCN0232_zps1274fe97.jpg

I am using archer resin rivet decals.  If you slice close to the rivet line and use decal solvent they will form to any shape you want.

You have a good start going there for reference their is/use to be on the forum I think Canuk?Did an excellant build up on a Zero years back just beautiful and I used some of his work and pics as a reference when I did my 1/24 Trump.

I found it and it was Canuck/Manny some of these guys drop off the page I guess?Like many here some serious attention to details ;)

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=11772&page=1

Edited by javlin

• 3 weeks later...

I started working on painting and adding some scratches and wear in the cockpit.  Original photos suggest that paint wore pretty quickly in the cockpit.  I started with darker side walls on the fuselage.  I gave a little spray of attoke from the back side of the side walls.  Then I used a lighter shade of Mitsubishi green on the side walls with some pain chipping.  More detail work to do but here it is for now.DSCN0310_zps22fd2899.jpgDSCN0309_zpsf5c22f05.jpgDSCN0313_zpsd4850e6c.jpgDSCN0314_zps17468cfa.jpg

DSCN0311_zps42ef343c.jpg

Love what you are doing here. Great work.

Two questions if I may.

Which of the Archer transfers did you use for the cockpt rivets?

And what did you use for the Aotake effect - looks very good!

Thanks for posting this build

Peter Roberts

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the comments.

Per the question above.  I used Gunze Mr. Color blue green metallic.  I kind of thought it was supposed to be an apeoximation of IJN Atoke.

I used a couple different sets of rivet lines.  I believe the smallest ones and the medium sized revets.

I have been doing lots of work and will post more pictures soon.  Since a lot of it has been boring stuff like paint on the basics done and I have been time limited on this I have not taken any photos in a while.  I plan to post on the weekend.

I have been doing lots of work, especially in the cockpit.  I spent most of the morning building the RB Productions seatbelt set.  The detail and design of these things are unbelievable but you must really study the instructions before you start.  I also recommend being open minded to using other hardware sources as you may loose a piece of the photo etch.  I lost one of the buckles and used a piece of the Tamiya hardware.  

I am also using some of the eduard color photo etch as well.  Anything goes if I think it will add something to the project.

DSCN0359_zps495be38b.jpgDSCN0361_zps7e870231.jpgDSCN0364_zpsd0b44dfb.jpgDSCN0365_zps6f56bed1.jpg

Next is an engine shot.  As well as fire wall, oil tank and fuel tank.  Then a few more cockpit pictures.

DSCN0362_zps097ea759.jpgDSCN0366_zps8990532b.jpgDSCN0367_zpsaad29100.jpgDSCN0368_zps8bb40c67.jpg

Looks good when im eyeballing it all....

Thw painting and weathering looks great...

Keep em coming, i like it.....

Zekes is one of my favorite birds ;) love them lines and look ;)

Not only fw190s.....

/Mal

Edited by Mal_Belford