Greek A-7 Cockpit Question

GusM

Hi all, I'm looking for some help from anyone with knowledge of the Greek SLUFs.

I fancy doing one as the weathering would be a real 'skills development' opportunity. I know that some were A-7H and some surplus A-7E but what I wondered was which would the 'correct' Aires cockpit set - early or late?

I know the Trumpeter kit has 'issues' but no-one else in my house would know a Corsair from a coathanger, so as long as it looks ok to me that'll be fine.

Cheers, Gus

They didn't get the surplus USN A-7Es until the early 90's, so they would surly have come with the SJU-8 seat since the Navy had already swapped over before then.

The A-7Hs were delivered in the late 70s, so they would have come with the original ESCAPAC seat, but I'm not sure if they were retrofitted with the SJU seat later.

Good morning folks

the first HAF A-7s as Dave already wrote were A-7Hs with the ESCAPAC seat and no refueling probe (it was sealed over with a long plate)

A-7_H-_HAF-159931.jpg

Escapac_A-7_H.jpg

The camo was the original USAF Vietnam style with ALL the stencils in english (not in greek as for other AC) only the big ΠΑ (PA, means Polemiki Aeroporia> Air Force)

A-7_H_left_side.jpg

The cockpit of the A-7H is shown here:

cockpit_A-7_H.jpg

left console

left_console_A-7_H.jpg

right one

Right_console_A-7_H.jpg

the main wheels were of the D-Type, and no landing aproach lights on the front door, no catapult mechanism

chievres88_1.jpg

508866.jpg

the later A-7Es were indentical to the US-NAVY ones but without the catapult bar and having the D-Type wheels.

Edited by Menelaos

Here's another resource for Greek A-7s.

http://www.reidairpublishing.com/product-p/rap015.htm

When I was at Araxos shooting the jets for this book, there were already a bunch of A-7Hs out in the fields, with a few A-7Es joining them.  The remaining airworthy jets were downright filthy.  So dirty that I didn't enjoy climbing into the cockpits to shoot the details.  Dirtiest aircraft I've ever been around.

Jake

i dondt whant to hijack this traed

but is here some one ho can me help me out with the next thing

each wing has two lights when in use are the fading or are the flashing

I have lookd tru many vids but didnt found a answer

thanks Mark

Thanks all for the info, especially Menelaos for all the great pictures. I think the grafitti up the intake is a bit beyond my painting skills! Sad to see them rotting away in the sun like that.

Thanks Jake and Red Dog for the book recommendations as well. I can see a few Christmas presents on the horizon...