Fieseler Fi 156C Storch "Schlachtgeschwader 1"

Bomber_County

.IMHO, by its nature, the Storch is a diorama-subject-kit. and awkward/gawky looking.

On its own, let's face it, it is an ugly, small, and not-very-exciting airplane.

I disagree, as it depends on how you look at it!    :lol:   I love the Fi-56! I always have, To me its really interesting looking all on its own. Im not much into dios for the most part, and probably would never put it with tanks, but I too love the Afrika Korps, so Ill likely make some custom masks and airbrush on some AK desert camo. 

I disagree, as it depends on how you look at it!     :lol:   I love the Fi-56! I always have, To me its really interesting looking all on its own. Im not much into dios for the most part, and probably would never put it with tanks, but I too love the Afrika Korps, so Ill likely make some custom masks and airbrush on some AK desert camo. 

Honestly, I don't see where we actually disagree- I like ugly too, that's why I got two of them!

What I am saying is the difference beyween the figure/arnor scale of 1/35 and aircraft scale of 1/32 is too close for me to resist wanting to create a scene! For the background, I already have a 1/48 Tiger and 1/72 Panher.

Now what do you think, should I build one in German markings for Rommel,and the other in British markings for my Monty/Humbler kit?

That would meet the British standard for "Fair Play", wouldn't it?

:innocent: Tom

Edited by Gigant

Just having some fun really. I just like the Storch on its own!  I guess it just stems from not having too many dios. 

Me too...

I looked at the old pictures, and the only one that comes close to accurate only shows Rommel near a Storch. Of course, that does not mean he literally flew in the same one with the same markings each time, which would make him an easier assination/kidnapping target.

Frankly, aside from the security risk, Churchill looked too rotund to ever climb into one, much get out of one. That makes me skeptical of such claims. Maybe one of his double's did, but realistically, not him.

So on physique alone, I would pick Monty over him anytime to fly in one of those.

So we can have a scenario of Monty stubbornly refusing to leave his car to get into a German-made airplane (in proper RAF markings, of course)...

Edited by Gigant

We just need Hasegawa to re-tool this!!   I would love a modern new-tool recessed panel line Storch.  Would be a dream, but im afraid not very likely. 

Aw, c'mon Brian, it is simply a matter of technique.

With raised panel lines (I'm showing my age now), you just paint them your desired undercoat color, and lightly wipe(if wet)/sand(if dry) off your finish color coat  to make them stand out!

Remember, a glass half-empty, is also half-full!

:innocent: Tom

Edited by Gigant

If I recall correctly the Hasegawa Storch is pretty good already. As it is predominantly fabric covered I can't really see what recessed panel lines would add :).

The price looks pretty tall though for such an older tooling, but that is Hasegawa's primary M.O., isn't it.. add some crappy new decals and charge new tool prices.. 

Tom, the clear choice for a Storch diorama is putting it with the Airfix 1/32 'Rommel's Halftrack', Sdkfz 250/something or other... AKA GRIEF (Griffon). It's the right scale, it has Rommel with it and it is a pretty nice kit (of around the same vintage as the Storch I believe). Can often be picked up on eBay for £15-20 or so..

Matt

Aw, c'mon Brian, it is simply a matter of technique.

With raised panel lines (I'm showing my age now), you just paint them your desired undercoat color, and lightly wipe(if wet)/sand(if dry) off your finish color coat  to make them stand out!

Remember, a glass half-empty, is also half-full!

:innocent:Tom

If I recall correctly the Hasegawa Storch is pretty good already. As it is predominantly fabric covered I can't really see what recessed panel lines would add :).

The price looks pretty tall though for such an older tooling, but that is Hasegawa's primary M.O., isn't it.. add some crappy new decals and charge new tool prices.. 

Tom, the clear choice for a Storch diorama is putting it with the Airfix 1/32 'Rommel's Halftrack', Sdkfz 250/something or other... AKA GRIEF (Griffon). It's the right scale, it has Rommel with it and it is a pretty nice kit (of around the same vintage as the Storch I believe). Can often be picked up on eBay for £15-20 or so..

Matt

Ive got the Has kit in the stash. Its actually a really nice kit. Ive got (I think) about every bit of 32nd AM made for the Storch, including wheels, and a PE upgrade set.

It wont be that hard, as they go together pretty well.  There arent really that many panel lines on the Storch, but it would only be a matter of having a kit where its one less step you have to "fix", even though in this case the fix is not super hard.

I get precious little bench time, and Id rather spend it building to completion, making and painting paint masks, weathering ect, ect. 

Matt

Thank you Matt, it is an excellent choice, especially the Airfix halftrack kit is available as a new re-issue!

Now for the Revell kit, I am wondering if I should make it German or British E.T.O.?

I've got one as well.

Mine need new clear parts.

It's a rebuild, and the previous owner used a tad to much glue

Cheers

Well, as an old scale modeler, I would first lightly sand the glue-damaged surface`s past the glue-damage, then simply clear-coat the thoroughly cleaned sanded panels and also clear-coat any and all clear surfaces that need it. A good clear-coat shines up opaqued clear plastic beautifully.

Now if the damage is too deep for sanding as an experienced balsa-stick-tissue builder, especially since this is a larger subject with nearly all flat window panels, I would try to make copies of the flat-paned window panels from scratch as paper patterns, then copy new ones from clear celluoid, that can be scrounged from typical large clear-bubble-packaging. 

Figuring that the main side window panels got messed up the most, I would make a flat pattern by taking a ruler to measure the main center panel first, make a pattern by laying it out on a blank sheet of paper, then measure each connecting panel in turn, noting the framing as bend lines, I would then transfer the pattern to a piece the clear stuff, bending the sections into shape and finish off  using painted Scotch-Magic-Mending-tape strips as raised framing. Or you can build cockpit framing from plastic strips and cut the windows to fit.

Edited by Gigant

Tom,

I never thought of doing that.

The clear parts are flat. No complex curves to worry about

I'll have to look into that

Thanks

Glad to share my experience.

Back in the '60's, until the better Monogram plastic kits came along, I built a lot of balsa-stick kits, and did the typical closed-canopy type by framing it with a painted paper "birdcage" with cellophane for the clear windows from the cigarette packs the hobby store owner who smoked gave me (which worked a lot better then the stiff, thick piece of clear celluloid the kit included).