Railway gun “DORA� – 1/35 by Soar Art Workshop

elmarriachi

Update 1:

Some of the doors and hatches at the "Kraftzentrale" (engine room) will remain open or at least partly open. Due to that it was necessary to add something to the inside. I have searched wherever I could but have not found a detailed picture of the engine. As there won't be much visible of it I have decided to make it with some parts which I had left from any other kits... some trucks, tanks, airplanes, sprues, ... whatever I could find and glued together.

After that I have painted it in a light grey with the airbrush, then added some colors with the paint brush to it. I think it would be ok inside the engine room....  Also I have added one area ("indside a 1/24 truck tank") with some handwheels, lever and - later - some gauges.

The floor of the catwalk is made with plastic profile (evergreen) and aluminium mesh.

t3pkziqn.jpg

zjjzfzft.jpg

f8xtdqxk.jpg

9cp2jjgb.jpg

n7zzk89b.jpg

qu94yfvp.jpg

a8vf7agl.jpg

2rczzpxx.jpg

Update 2:

The housing received some putty (not yet sanded) and the doors, partly open, with some (not finished) clasps inside. 

On the roof I have added a new exhaust which is possibly visible on one picutre. Also I have added some closed hatches.

The exhaust on the downside of the floor received some new, open endpipes...

95asdfhd.jpg

zo3af6mn.jpg

n7csv4km.jpg

knclwn6h.jpg

2udc723i.jpg

3ssnt253.jpg

lt35q9to.jpg

trf3akil.jpg

5hbdglwj.jpg

Update 3

All the 8 wagons and the 4 bridges were painted in Tamiya's "German Grey" first, then I have added some highlights with a ligther grey.

After that a washing with AK Interactive's "Blue Washing for German Grey" followed, also the (hand painted) silver wheels.

A layer Future as base for the decals came next.... 

b4kkt9zr.jpg

gsairzqy.jpg

nxgnkjp5.jpg

dd66yyxa.jpg

732kmudf.jpg

4dt73sov.jpg

cq5jxiet.jpg

kzm6krkb.jpg

gpvpwb2f.jpg

ehpdx5e4.jpg

ggwq5s3m.jpg

UPDATE

After a layer of Future I have added all the thousands decals of the new peddinghaus-set. This is a lot of work. ... and each decal needs to be cut out ....  

Now some days drying, then matt clear coat to save the decals ... then a little bit of weathering :) (but not much)

7l62z7qy.jpg

tjxtfdqs.jpg

gw3xjflw.jpg

gjzpdcf7.jpg

7lgruqsl.jpg

xfu6aeqq.jpg

3soqkynt.jpg

The "Kraftzentrale" was first painted inside in a light grey, then outside in German Grey, with light grey highlights. The doors were painted light grey, highlights in white.

Now also a filter from AK Interactive follows, then future, then decals and matt clear coat....

q9vven7s.jpg

hgutnpd6.jpg

Cheers

Micha

Klasse!

Gleich noch ein paar Fragen:

Wie sind die Peddinghaus Decals in der Qualität und in der Anbringung?

Wie macht sich das AK wash? Trägst du das generell auf oder nur punktuell? Ich habe schon andere Washs von denen verwendet, aber noch keine Erfahrung mit der Wirkung des Panzergraus.

Regards

- dutik

Hi friends,

thank you very much! 

@ Shawn: Not really... it is not much, but a little silvering was not possible to avoid - although I had more then clear coat on the parts before.... but the decals are very thick... this is the biggest problem of it ....

@ Dudik: To be honest - I do not like the Peddinghaus Decals. The print is good, the colors as well, But the decals are much too thick. I am not shure if several layers of clear coat will solve this, but after two layers of matt clear coat the decals are still thicker then everything else.... maybe I will try some careful sanding ... or some more layers of clear coat .... Unfortunatly the peddinghaus decals are withot any alternative as there is no other supplier of decals for teh Dora right now .... :(

Cheers

Michael

Hello,

big update... big trouble .... I hate these decals .... the decals are still much too thick... nothing seems to work to solve this issue..... And - despite several layer of clear coat and using of several chemicals to fix the decals, it is still possible to remove each decal easily....  so what to do ...... 

Today I asked the best graphic-artist I know to issue the full decal sheet for me and print it on a new decal foil .... I have a company on hand, which made several decals for me some time ago in highest quality, They will print the decals for me new .... and then I will add all decals once again ... and then I will have this problem solved and the decals looking fantastic then :)  

That means for now.... I have to wait with the wagons... wait till I get the new decals. Then I will remove the decals of the first wagon for trying... then adding the new decals... when everything good, then I will remove all decals once again and add the new ones...  until I get the new decals on my desk I will continue with the other parts of the gun ... :) 

Cheers

Michael

Hi friends,

thank you very much! 

@ Shawn: Not really... it is not much, but a little silvering was not possible to avoid - although I had more then clear coat on the parts before.... but the decals are very thick... this is the biggest problem of it ....

@ Dudik: To be honest - I do not like the Peddinghaus Decals. The print is good, the colors as well, But the decals are much too thick. I am not shure if several layers of clear coat will solve this, but after two layers of matt clear coat the decals are still thicker then everything else.... maybe I will try some careful sanding ... or some more layers of clear coat .... Unfortunatly the peddinghaus decals are withot any alternative as there is no other supplier of decals for teh Dora right now .... :(

Cheers

Michael

I have had success in the past sanding down very thick decals  before applying them to the model. Some have very heavy clear top coats.

Using  fine wet and dry paper.Used dry ,of course.

The usual caveat     a trial run first,,,,,,,,,Cheers   Ernie

Hello,

some new update of the Dora gun. First the modified gun barrel, ready for a first layer of primer (and maybe more sanding and primering after that). 

2jq6uvbs.jpg

ltk8glej.jpg

wgamf7ow.jpg

The loading mechanismus of the gun got a lot of modifications. The kit parts are realy simplified and need lot of modification. 

I have added some details with plastic profile, plastic card, parts from other kits, wire, .... 

5eg6dzcs.jpg

jbdembiw.jpg

The plattform at the rear of the gun was mounted next, then lot of modifications added. Some made of plastic profile, lot of mesh for all catwalks, modified hand rail and new made plattform left and right of the pillars.

84j6y5bj.jpg

kuu3twgw.jpg

ufg5gc4k.jpg

dzjzu9vn.jpg

476m8j3i.jpg