Matchbox Sea Venom

LSP_Kevin

I got my replacement decalsheet for my Matchbox kit this week from RoG.

One thing I noted that the sharkmouth on the Matchboxsheet is red and on the Revell sheet it's black.

Can anyone which is correct ? Or are they both correct ?

So this is not an aftermarket sheet Erwin, but a replacement from Revell themselves? I wonder if they countenance sending me one for my kit, even despite the conditions of 'purchase'? I just don't trust the ones I've got, and I'm not aware of any aftermarket sets for this kit (though I must confess I haven't looked very hard yet).

Can't answer your question though unfortunately.

Kev

So this is not an aftermarket sheet Erwin, but a replacement from Revell themselves?

Kev

Hi Kevin,

It's an origional sheet I got from RoG. I mailed them and told them about my bad decals in my old Matchbox kit and asked if they would send me a sheet from the Revell re-release.

They asked 5 Euros to cover the costs . I simply printed their e-mailreply and added 5 Euros cash in a letter send to Germany.

Hi Kevin,

It's an origional sheet I got from RoG. I mailed them and told them about my bad decals in my old Matchbox kit and asked if they would send me a sheet from the Revell re-release.

They asked 5 Euros to cover the costs . I simply printed their e-mailreply and added 5 Euros cash in a letter send to Germany.

Ah, cool, thanks.

Kev

Their is an aftermarketsheet. But I tried Revell first before paying more...and it worked.Not sure if it will for outside Europe.

http://www.aviationmegastore.com/?shopid=L...0&art=80479

Thanks for the link Erwin. I plan to build an Aussie bird come what may, and that one is only Royal Navy unfortunately. You're probably right about getting the Revell sheet outside the EU - even if they allow it, it'd probably cost as much as an aftermarket set anyway.

Kev

I got my replacement decalsheet for my Matchbox kit this week from RoG.

One thing I noted that the sharkmouth on the Matchboxsheet is red and on the Revell sheet it's black.

Can anyone which is correct ? Or are they both correct ?

Hi Erwin,

The black sharkmouth is how the aircraft is painted at the De Havilland Heritage Center.

(Official Website: www.dehavillandmuseum.co.uk, unofficial website: www.dehavillandmuseum.2ya.com )

see picture from internet:

post-4267-1220376505.jpg

I don't know if it is operationally correct, however.

Cheers,

Peter

Hi Erwin,

The black sharkmouth is how the aircraft is painted at the De Havilland Heritage Center.

(Official Website: www.dehavillandmuseum.co.uk, unofficial website: www.dehavillandmuseum.2ya.com )

see picture from internet:

I don't know if it is operationally correct, however.

Cheers,

Peter

Thank you for the info.

Well, I finally got around to checking out the plastic today, and it's not a pretty sight. The kit itself seems decent enough (though very basic), but as I noted in a previous post, it has already been started, and none too carefully. A lot of parts are off the sprues and it's a bit hard to tell what's what. The fragile state of the instructions doesn't help. Anybody got a spare set or a scan they can help me out with?

I had to toss the old box out, as not only was it all but incapable of containing the kit anymore, but it actually had dirt in the bottom of it (and some carrots growing too, I think). The canopy parts are heavily scuffed, but otherwise OK, and should polish up pretty well. The whole thing is crying out for some superdetailing, but I fancy I don't really have the references or the skills. Still pondering which road to take there. Any good Sea Venom walkarounds on the 'net?

Hopefully I'll have made a start on building it by the next update!

Kev

Come on dude, it is like bathing in cold water: it first feels difficult to get in ;) but once you are actually in, you feel good (it is not so cold!) :P and have lot of fun :lol:

You just have to start anyhow and the rest will follow I guess ;) + we are all waiting to see you start this bird.

This said, I am not trying to put any pressure on you... but it is only 5 month and 23 days left before the end of the GB...

Cheers,

Loic

Hi Kev,

RoG has the building instructions available on line for several of their kits. The Sea Venom is one of them.

Go to their website, to the on-line catalog and search for the sea venom or venom.

There's not much info on the Sea Venom on the net, nor are there any AM sets.

Some useful links are given in my build thread on the Sea Venom here on LSP.

Cheer up, you'l gonna do fine with the old kit!

Cheers,

Peter

RoG has the building instructions available on line for several of their kits. The Sea Venom is one of them.

Go to their website, to the on-line catalog and search for the sea venom or venom.

Thanks Peter. I did find them almost immediately after I posted! That's the second time Revell's online instruction service has bailed me out. I've been meaning to go through your build thread again too, as no doubt there's some good info there. The only reference I have is the Warpaint book, which seems decent enough but a bit light on from a modeller's perspective. I really should just run out to the Moorabbin Air Museum across town and take photos of the one that's there! ;)

Kev

I had that kit in similar condition several years ago. When I cleaned out my collection, the Venom went with it. I did purchase a couple of resin ejector seats meant for an early Hunter (forget the mfr now) that looked really close to what the Venom had; I intended to shorten them a little and also drop the Venom's floor to accomodate them. The rest of the 'pit I was going to fill out with spares box items. I wish I'd saved the cockpit photos I'd found online!

I know the feeling- open the box and you've got a cab of worms (or by the sounds of it the dirt they came with at least) ^_^!!

Did the same when i recently restarted my Revell 32nd Beaufighter... But i've found once you get stuck into it and just take things one step at a time then it'll fly by :(

Best of luck Kev :)!!

-Dan

I know the feeling- open the box and you've got a cab of worms (or by the sounds of it the dirt they came with at least) ^_^!!

Did the same when i recently restarted my Revell 32nd Beaufighter... But i've found once you get stuck into it and just take things one step at a time then it'll fly by :(

Best of luck Kev :)!!

-Dan

Thanks Dan, and welcome to LSP!

Still making my way through the Warpaint book, trying to get my head around this aircraft. I've downloaded and printed out the Revell instructions, and I'm hoping to make a proper start on it soon.

Kev