Matchbox Spitfire 22/24

LSP_Kevin

• 2 years later...

Wow, I didn't expect to see this one in despatches today! Andrew, Maru: many thanks for the kind words. I still like this build, but it's ruined by the sit of the main undercarriage for me. I have another one in the stash, which is also destined to be a Seafire 47, and will try to do better with that one.

Kev

Wow, I didn't expect to see this one in despatches today! Andrew, Maru: many thanks for the kind words. I still like this build, but it's ruined by the sit of the main undercarriage for me. I have another one in the stash, which is also destined to be a Seafire 47, and will try to do better with that one.

Kev

Are replacing the gear legs an option Kevin?

The model and paintwork look great, it's just those legs are too short to retract even.

Are replacing the gear legs an option Kevin?

The model and paintwork look great, it's just those legs are too short to retract even.

They are replacements! They're a prototype set that Derek had made up from metal-impregnated resin. They're actually really great, but not designed for this kit (I think Derek designed the for the Tamiya kit), and hence ruin the stance. Unfortunately, the kit legs are really spindly, and definitely need replacing with something. I have no idea what I'll do here when it comes time to build the other one.

Kev

keV...

You dog, you slipped this lovely little devil by me. Good photography can't make a great build...only you can do that and you were wildly successful. Simply beautiful Bud.

Geoff

Edited by Ironwing

They are replacements! They're a prototype set that Derek had made up from metal-impregnated resin. They're actually really great, but not designed for this kit (I think Derek designed the for the Tamiya kit), and hence ruin the stance. Unfortunately, the kit legs are really spindly, and definitely need replacing with something. I have no idea what I'll do here when it comes time to build the other one.

Kev

Well, my suggestion would be to seek inspiration from the original!

Drill a brass pin through the leg where the mounting spigot would be placed on the real deal, then epoxy that assembly to the rear bay wall.

In my head it works perfectly!

What could go wrong??

keV...

You dog, you slipped this lovely little devil by me. Good photography can't make a great build...only you can do that and you were wildly successful. Simply beautiful Bud.

Geoff

Thanks, Geoff. You're too kind!

Kev

Well, my suggestion would be to seek inspiration from the original!

Drill a brass pin through the leg where the mounting spigot would be placed on the real deal, then epoxy that assembly to the rear bay wall.

In my head it works perfectly!

What could go wrong??

This is pretty much what I did on my Revell Zero rebuild:

post-3071-1248689010.jpg

Just some brass tubing epoxied into place in the wheel bay, over which I slipped the landing gear legs from the Doyusha kit, pre-drilled for the occasion:

post-3071-1254002866.jpg

And the result:

post-3071-1254002875.jpg

This kit now has the strongest landing gear of any model I've ever built! Unfortunately, the Matchbox Spitfire gear legs are too spindly for this approach, as I remember them.

Kev

I'm planning to splice a pair of Tamiya legs whenever I get back to my Seafire. The Tamiya legs are hollow so it's easy to insert a longer metal rod inside them.

Carl

That's not a bad idea, Carl - but an expensive way to get replacement undercarriage legs!

Kev

• 1 year later...