Trumpeter 1:200 HMS Hood + Pontos Detail Set

Iain

Guest Peterpools

iain

I'm floored and almost blown away. I love your latest buy and I'm strapping in for the journey.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Peter

I think even more than that.....

I used to be sort of a battleship nerd, and the Iowas were designed and built to comply with the Washington Treaty on capital ships which limited them to 45,000 tons displacement.  I think they got heavier with retrofits when the war started, but initially it was taken very seriously to comply with the treaty.  The Yamato and Musashi were built in secret and in violation of the Washington Treaty, and I think they were both nearly 70,000 tons as designed and completed.

The Montana Class battleship was designed once it was realized the treaty was no longer being honored, and it was to be a ship in the size class of the Yamatos, with 4 main gun turrets of 3 16"/50 guns each and displacement of nearly 70,000 tons.  But none were completed nor I think even started because by then it was recognized the battleship was obsolete.

On top of all that, the 18" guns on the Yamatos are reason enough to build one!  I wonder if we wait long enough Trumpeter will do it in 1/200...?  If I was going to invest that time and money I would definitely want to start with the best kit possible.

You may be right about the weight, and if so, that's even more impressive then. I think the Iowa class was also somewhat restricted by the width of the Panama Canal, which the Japanese certainly didn't need to contend with. I just watched a documentary the other night that referred to the Yamato class as 50,000 tons, but a quick Google says closer to 70,000 tons, a 25,000 ton difference between the Yamato and Iowa.

I think it's entirely possible that Trumpeter may do one, given the apparent success of those 1:200 kits that have already been released.

My apologies for the thread walk, Iain.

Now wondering if I should go *really* mad and source some crew figures?

Iain

Absolutely 100% yes. There is absolutely nothing that defines scale and proportion better to the average person, than people. And I'd go with 3D folks, not the flat ones. I have a set of 1:350 folks that I bought for a Titanic model I was working on, and even though they're flat, I think they still look OK in that smaller scale, but for 1:200, I'd definitely go 3D.

I'm really looking forward to seeing some progress on this big baby.

My apologies for the thread walk, Iain.

No apologies needed - all fascinating stuff!

Whilst primarily a propeller head, I'm fascinated by all things naval. The ship modelling is partly a break from the norm - a slightly different mindset/approach - but trying to limit myself to Royal Navy subjects - or I'd go off on even more tangents than I do alrea... 

Look - another Squirrel!  

:rofl:

Iain

For the crew, you can also check the Preiser figures. Some are 1/225 to go with standard railway scales, but worth checking whether they will fit, if not for all, at least for some...

I can't praise enough Trumpeter for launching 1/200 ship kits. It is IMHO the right scale for battlewagons, with a size that has a real presence, and a level of detail that can be achieved without ruining one's eyesight, unlike 1/350 or even smaller scale like, God forbid, 1/700.

They revived 1/32 scale in the aviation kit field in the early 2000s, and I hope they will meet with a similar success with 1/200 ship kits. Hopefully they will inspire other kit manufacturers to follow suit. I would so much like to see Zvezda release 1/200 versions of their russian pre-dreadnoughts.

Finally, the displacements of ships were a big joke in Washington treaty times. The Bismarcks were said to be 35 000 tons, but more like 52 000 in real life. Even the Hood was closer to 42 000 than 35 000. The Iowas at full displacement were above 50 000, and more likely 62 000. As for the Yamatos, 72 000 is probably a minimum and 80 000 more likely at full load.

Back to Iain and his mighty Hood ;)

Hubert

Edited by MostlyRacers

Course....to build one of these awesome 1/200 ships...we must budget in the cost of a 5 foot long display case with LED top lighting as well.  You simply could not allow one of these, once completed, to get dusty.  You would never get it clean again without breaking stuff.

Gawd....this thread has my gears turning....I have already checked prices on Sprue Bros...... :hmmm:

Course....to build one of these awesome 1/200 ships...we must budget in the cost of a 5 foot long display case with LED top lighting as well.  You simply could not allow one of these, once completed, to get dusty.  You would never get it clean again without breaking stuff.

Gawd....this thread has my gears turning....I have already checked prices on Sprue Bros...... :hmmm:

A good point. When I go to build some of my ships, it had always been my intention to build a case, or at least a temporary shelter box for it, to have a place for it to rest between modeling sessions, as I certainly will not work on one nonstop to completion. While I'm very tempted by the 1:200 Bismark kit, I'm really holding out for a Yamato or Musashi.

A good point. When I go to build some of my ships, it had always been my intention to build a case, or at least a temporary shelter box for it, to have a place for it to rest between modeling sessions, as I certainly will not work on one nonstop to completion. While I'm very tempted by the 1:200 Bismark kit, I'm really holding out for a Yamato or Musashi.

I know...

I like the Arizona for historic value, but it is sort of an ugly and primitive looking vessel.

The Bismark and Iowa are just overall awesome and have great lines, and with the Iowa you have the option of about 5 different configurations, all quite different.  You could even build the 1980s version with Phalanx, Tomahawk, and Harpoon (I personally wouldn't...but it's an option).

But Yamato/Musashi would win hands down....we just don't know when/if they might come out.

iain

I'm floored and almost blown away. I love your latest buy and I'm strapping in for the journey.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Peter

Bro,

This is going to be no short build time wise for sure. There's a real good chance that by the time it's done, we'll be at the old age home for senior modelers.  :mental: 

Joel

Bro,

This is going to be no short build time wise for sure. There's a real good chance that by the time it's done, we'll be at the old age home for senior modelers.  :mental:

Joel

I'm already there. :)  I have to admire fellas that can work on one of these monsters through completion though. I seem to get bored with stuff after about an hour, it seems, so it takes me forever even to get a small aircraft model built.

Kev,

I've promised myself that If I only do one ship, it's the Arizona, but most likely will end up being in 1/350 scale. 

I'm her by confessing that my non-aircraft builds will be my other passion: race and sport cars from the 1960s through the 1980s.

Joel

My aim is 12 months...

I'll need to keep at this one - plan is to take a toolkit to work and do some of the repetitive assembly stuff at work.

I don't really take a lunch break - apart from sat at my desk with food and a little web-browsing - so a good break from the computer and, bit by bit, I can progress.

Next on purchase list - some compartmentalised storage boxes so I can stash collections of turrets/boats/winches etc., etc. in an orderly manner.

Iain

Kev,

I've promised myself that If I only do one ship, it's the Arizona, but most likely will end up being in 1/350 scale. 

I'm her by confessing that my non-aircraft builds will be my other passion: race and sport cars from the 1960s through the 1980s.

Joel

A ship as important as USS Arizona for American people deserve a "proper" scale, Jay :)

Hubert

A ship as important as USS Arizona for American people deserve a "proper" scale, Jay :)

Hubert

Hubert,

Agreed, but the skill level needed to do justice for the USS Arizona in that scale is certainly more then I have.

Joel

I'll wager you have Joel - it's only bits of plastic and metal.

I get the strong impression that these builds are more about stamina/perseverance than anything else...

Go on, you know you want to!  :coolio:

Iain