New from Merit: 1/24 Fokker Dr.1

Black Sheep One

_08A0184_zps5evykqhy.jpg

Box is about the size of your average 1/48 scale kit.

Kit composed of:

5 sprues

1 photoetch sprue

2 sets of decals

1 decal placement and color call out sheet

1 instruction booklet

I was a little disappointed with the little detail on this kit.

The engine is a little sparse, not much in the cockpit either.

Kind of reminds me of a Revell kit.

However, I'm sure the aftermarket guys can fix this.

Having said all that, It's better than not having a Dr.1 in 1/24th scale.

BTW, there are no short shots in the molding or any ejection stress marks from production.

All ejection pin marks are on the inside and will not be visible when model is assembled.

Here are some images of the sprues, PE and decals.

_08A0162_zpsfrmbdnlo.jpg

_08A0163_zps3lgcmhqw.jpg

_08A0165_zpsstpzuvzo.jpg

_08A0166_zpsix33xahs.jpg

_08A0167_zps7xsbhtyi.jpg

_08A0179_zpsx1nmyfia.jpg

_08A0180_zpsev5soik6.jpg

_08A0181_zpswhpyxtem.jpg

Sorry for the late posting, I'm under the weather and was in bed all day.

Edited by Black Sheep One

Thanks Tim and get better....Harv

Harv, I think BSO is Howard, not Tim!

The kit does indeed look quite simple. It'll be interesting to see how it builds. Any chance of a squared-up shot of the box top for the Kit Database, Howard?

Kev

Hi,

I'm amazed seeing another manufacturer succeeding in copying the errors of Ian Stair's plans...

When Andrea and Roden released their 1/32 kits, this was acceptable as we had no better detailed plans and the ones from Joseph Nieto (that may also be found on the web) did not show such external features.

However, I don't know how many reviews of the plans and the kits have discussed such errors for years. It seems Trumpeter research does not really improve in that area... too bad!

At least, as they used such plans, the overall dimensions will be correct!

Thierry

To clarify my comments:

1. The actual plane had a celluloid window in the upper wing right over the wing spar. This was intended to check it. Merit just added an engraved rectangle and it is too close to the wing leading edge.

2. The cowling was clearly made from two main separate parts. So, there was a step in the front face and a visible line of rivets on the main part edge (to fix the front part). The step looks faint and the rivets are missing.

3. The plane had two metal plates intended to protect the surface of the upper fuselage from machine gun blast. There are not there.

4. In the same part, there should be one oil and fuel tank plug on each side. It seems both of them are missing.

5. The plane had not the 6 fixtures seen under the landing gear wing. It had just two square maintenance panels to get access to the bungee chords used to fix the landing gear.

6. There was no plain (wood) bulkhead behind the pilot. The hole was closed by a canvas rectangle fixed with wire to the metal tube structure.

This is just a quick assessment. Fortunately, everything may be solved with some elbow grease. However, as all the elements I mentioned are known for ages, this is plain stupid! By the way, I knew nearly nothing about the DR1 two months ago..!

The really positive aspect I see is the release in a new scale.

As much as I kid the accuracy guys, Thierry's list of errors is really very helpful to those modelers who strive for a high degree of accuracy.

Those who enjoy building the kit out of the box will enjoy their build and those who desire a higher degree of accuracy can use Thierry's six points to improve their model.

That is the beauty of a forum such as this - there is room for all of us.

Personally, I really enjoy looking at the photos of the models here. I may never care to make mine as detailed and as accurate as theirs but  I do appreciate their work.

The diversity shown here is what makes this such a great forum. :clap2:

Stephen

Guest Peterpools

Howard

Thank you for the in box review. Nice to have a1/24th scale Dr.1 but it sure looks like the AM guys will need to start casting some much needed upgrades.

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Thank you Peter.

Yes the AM guys need to do something. At least re-do the cockpit and the engine.

The Oberursel engine's cylinders were wide on top but near the bottom tapers down to a smaller diameter.

The engine in this kit is just a straight down cylinder with not much detail.

And the cockpit is just as plain as a cheap And void of details as you would expect to find in a cheap old Revell/Monogram kit.

I hope the AM guys come to the rescue with this one.

Indeed, a good photoetched set may help in fixing most of the mentioned problems. A better engine, more accurate cowling and oil and tank plugs will nonetheless ask for some resin.

Easily feasible but noticeably frustrating considering the current availability of information...

At least, this is an accurately dimensioned 1/24 Dr1 and the fabric effect on the wings looks subtle. Nitpickers will nonetheless try to find a way to reproduce the missing stitching effect on the edges!

Beyond what little AM the kit may need, decals are my much bigger concern, so to speak. I seriously hope that Pheon upscales some of his beautiful smaller scale sheets for this kit, specifically Jasta 18, but all would be welcome.