Revell He162 "Salamander"

ChrisK89

Today i've started my next build. The Heinkel 162 "Salamander" from Revell.

I'm going to build it without aftermarket items except of Eduards Big Ed set.

20140806_120319.jpg

For now i only dipped the canopy with Future after Humbrol Clear totaly failed... :frantic: 

20140806_190926.jpg

Does anyone of you use Humbrol Clear for dipping canopies? Mine always shrinks (is it the right word?) even when i washed the canopy with soap and many many fresh water, and yes, it was fully dried

cheers Chris

I like this particular kit and am planning on picking it up myself.  It is always nice seeing other folks builds and how those are done.

As to the Humbrol clear coat vs the future, I think it just has to do with the properties of the "paint".  The clear coat is intended for over other paints and to give a gloss finish over the other paint coatings.  The Future on the other hand is meant to go on wet, flow out smooth, be self leveling and to be transparent.  Also being a clear acrylic coating it is compatible with the clear plastic parts where the clear gloss paint is not neccessarily so.

Yesterday i made a little progress with my He162 and completed the cockpit rear wall, portside wall and the ejection seat.

20140808_110821.jpg

its not painted yet and many placards and levers are uninstalled. I will add them later.

20140808_110836.jpg

20140808_110913.jpg

And both together.. yes the rails are working :evil_laugh:

20140808_111124.jpg

Yeah i know, i left the belts in the seat shell, but the eduard PE seatbelts are huge and ill try to cover the molded seatbelts with them! So no one will notice em when eduards seatbelts are attached.

cheer Chris

Edited by ChrisK89

Just a thought (on seatbelts)  I have tried the older PE belts and they are usually too stiff to get a good effect.  You might look into some of the newer cloth/paper (?) seatbelts that are now available.  I think HGW is one of the mfg's and believe Eduard is starting to use /market the HGW belts under their lable.  Have some for my Ju88 and will not go back to the PE ones unless I have to.

Otherwise your PE building is looking great!  Are you having any problems with the brass staying glued to the plastic and each other?  I have found the nickle plated PE sometimes has a thin coating that makes it break loose with a little stress.  That was solved by washing with 409 before starting or washing it with Xylene and blotting individual parts.  

Eduard makes the fabric seatbelts too but ill stay with the PE ones, i have no problems to bend em to look like fabric ones.

Regarding the glued brass pieces i do not have a problem with them, for bigger pieces i use CA glue, for small ones or plates mainly Gators Grip Glue.

I have 4 different CA glues, fast+thin, fast+thick, slow+thin and slow+thick... it depends on the piece what i want to glue.

mx105.JPG

This is PE too, looks good to me.

20140615_120202.jpg

But here is a little progress, i managed to finish the cockpit starboard wall, the revi gunsight, nosewheelwell and the instrument cover..

20140810_134555.jpg

20140810_134749.jpg

20140810_134905.jpg

Pls forgive me but this will be the last update for the next 2 weeks <_<

My new employer wants all new employees to have a one week meeting trip on a sailing ship on the baltic sea. Wish me luck!

cheers Chris

Edited by ChrisK89

• 3 weeks later...

Finally i found the time to get my hands on the He162 again!

I couldn't find the Aires Cockpit and Wheelbay set für the He162 or it was just to expensive, so i decided to work with the Eduards PE set and scratch the wiring etc.

It is not perfect or 100% like the real plane but i like it.

20140831_121248.jpg

20140831_121344.jpg

Ready for priming! :evil_laugh:

Cheers Chris