Aichi Hansa

Hubert Boillot

I had started this one a long time ago as part of the "Empire of the Rising" Group Build. It was then moved to the "Clear the workbench !" GB, and I was not very successful at doing just that, clearing the workbench.

When Russ's (Rutzelkampf) sudden death hit us, I decided that this project had to be stalled to start a new one to honour Russ. Truth is I have been inactive modelling-wise for close to 6 months, as family, business, holidays and modelling-cave refurbishing took precedence...So I have gone even less far on building a B-58 from scratch than I did on the Hansa (but I did a bit of work, and I'll continue it ... one day :piliot: ).

Anyway, my modelling space is now "harmoniously" integrated in the overall household environment, and I could do some more modelling recently. Recognising my failure to hold any kind of deadline, I have decided that for my morale I needed to finish something, and that the "Hansa" was the best candidate.

So, if you want to see where I had left it, the initial building thread is here ...

In the meantime, before my modelling area refurbishing allowed me to store the projects safely, the Hansa was flight tested, without wings, by my cat...The engine took the opportunity to take a trajectory of its own in this failed first flight... :D

But that gave me the excuse to redo the engine wiring...I was not happy with the wiring the first time. I had used 0,12 mm tungsten wire, and it just looked too thin...and then I found out that Hissos in the 20s had a collecting tube to tidy up the ignition harness.

So I have redone the ignition harness, magnetos, with a thicker wire (0,2 mm) taken from an old electric chord. The tubes are 0,8 mm plastic rods drilled to receive the wires. I also painted the wires a dark red (Citadel "Necrosis red"), and rearanged the wire-to-plug set-up. The photos show that I still need to do a bit of touch-up at the plugs level :clap2: ...

DSCF0695.jpg

DSCF0694.jpg

Anyway, I'm a lot happier now with my wiring...Now to reinstall the carburetor and all the other pipings and wirings....

In the meantime I have also started some painting, with the hinomarus on the fuselage and wings. This is still in-progress work, so photos later. While the paint is drying, I have also tackled the trickiest part of this build :closedeyes:

On the HB-W29, The struts connect to the fuselage through iron fittings to which the struts are bolted (literally). To reproduce this feature, and have someting solid enough for the struts and floats attachements, I wanted to do the fittings in brass sheet. The issue is that the pieces are fairly small, and the front parts are are actually complex to the point where I needed 3 pieces to reproduce them. And I had to solder everything to have something solid enough for the struts...The firts trial was not so good, but the 2nd and 3rd were :clap2: !

So this is how the attachements of the struts to the fuselage look like ...

DSCF0693.jpg

More later. Back to airbrushing !

Hubert.

PS edit : I'm going to be off for two weeks. If anyone is in the plastics business and is planning to visit K2010 in Düsseldorf, he is welcome to visit my company's booth, n° 3C78, Hall 3, company name Codecor.

Hi there Hubert

Wow....I have just had a very quick glance at this build and I'm going to have a good look at it starting when you started it but from what I can see of it so far its fantastic ;)

Will get back to you when I have read it.

Cheers

Fozzy

Hi again Hubert

I have just been looking at your original postings of the Hansa.I started from the begining as I said I would and taking it all in.Your building technics are superb and you are a man after my own heart....scratch building at its best.....you really are good.I love the subject,it is such a beautiful sea plane and it is the sort of scratch build I would love to do.Maybe after I have finished the Spitfire I am doing on this forum I'll have a go at something like what your doing!.

I am a bit confused about how you moulded your wings though ,I will have to read it through again because the finish you have is fantastic! I hate constructing wings when I scratch build...the shape of the wings on my recent Lysander build nearly drove me to dispair...so I must re read how you did yours.

I am only on the second page of your build and I shall be reading and studying it all the way through....see what other tips I can pick up.

Bravo Hubert

Regards

Fozzy

• 3 weeks later...

After close to three weeks' interruption, due to business obligations, I have resumed work on the Hansa, and went through a major milestone, even though there is still a lot to do befor I can say it's finished.

Thanks to Chris (MonthPython) and Alan (Alaninaustria), I have found the color chips that have helped me refine the mix of reds I was using to obtain the base hue for the Hinomarus. Using Prince August acrylics, my mix is 70 drops italian red, 45 drops necrosis red, 30 drops lunar yellow and 25 drops yellow ink...Well I think this the final mix I ended up with, and that seemed to work for me, as the early thirties hinomarus seemed a bit darker thann during WWII. At least it matches the color profile in Arawasi.

I used Tamiya tape masks,, cut with an Olfa circular cutter. Of course, with my clumsy approach to painting, and my prolonged periods without using my airbrush, I had forgotten to use the tip I read on LSP, i.e. to seal the masking tape with Future...so I ended up with red bleeding on the white background :BANGHEAD2:. So I tried to position my circular masks as well as possible, to repaint a white surround...not fogetting the Future tip to seal the mask. It worked almost well :unsure:, but I still have a bit of touching up to do to get an acceptable result.

The grey used at that time seemed fairly light in hue as well, and here again the Arawasi's profile gave me a direction to follow. Tamiya's IJN Grey, when sprayed directly looked a bit too dark to my taste. My mix is again a result of trial and error: 4 parts IJN Grey, 2 parts Sky, 3 parts white.

Placing masks to be concentric on the red cicrcle, to obtain a regular white surround, was done as well as I could using eyeball Mark 1 as a tool....:wacko:. Anyway, here is how the Hansa looks after demasking. Still plenty of touching up to do, and weathering as well, but it gives me a boost to the feeling that I am slowly getting there :yahoo:

DSCF0698-1.jpg

DSCF0699.jpg

DSCF0700-1.jpg

More to come (hopefully) later this week-end. I am now tacking the jig to assemble the floats and struts...an dthe one to do the gluing of the wings to the fuselage. Need to mask the rudder to add the "Y 112" code as well.

Hubert.

Nice to see this one continuing. I still can't believe the way the wings turned out, they look fantastic. As does the rest of the work you've done.

I can relate to the problem of not modeling. I haven't touched a thing since I started packing up for the move last spring, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. I'm going to have a go at clearing off my modeling desk and see if I can't get back to the Wal.

Sabre

Thanks guys !

Sabre, I can't wait to see resume work on your Dornier Wal !

Quick update for the week-end: most of it was spent buidling ajig for assembling the flaost and struts. However I fisrt painted the "Y 112" code on the rudder, as per the original in the fisrt psot of the first thread. The vie is not too clear. sorry about that.

DSCF0702-1.jpg

The main part was building the jig out of thick cardboard. Who said measure twice an cut once ? How right !:BANGHEAD2: I need this jig as the struts only have a theoretical (calculated) length, and I wanted to be sure I could adjust each one and have everything square and true without assembling the fuselage and wings. Any way, here is the result of a few hours cutting, and assembling, with the plane posed on it just for the looks. The big white "thing" in lieu of the engine is a rubber I have used to balance the weight of the tail...

DSCF0701-1.jpg

DSCF0704.jpg

DSCF0703.jpg

Next is to start the floats and struts assembly, in two weeks time...

Hubert.

• 1 month later...

A quick update before I sit down in front of the workbench at last !

This was stalled for a few weeks as I was struggling to produce decent looking hex bolts for the struts attachments...Finally resorted to use my company's assets to produce some PE sets of the bolts heads ...

DSCF0721.jpg

Back to work now, especially as this is holiday time !

Hubert.