Clarktor 6 Tow Tractor Scratchbuilt 1/33rd Scale

Bomarc

Hi Gang

While it's not a "large scale plane", it *is* aviation related, so thought this might be of interest (I hope!). As a companion piece to 1/33rd scale PBJ Mitchell I built (see the link below in my sig line), I scratched this paper Clarktor tug in the same scale over the Summer. Mostly paper, there is some copper wire and lots of paint. The markings and color are fictitious, and represents a generic Navy tug:

IMG_8276.jpg

IMG_8277.jpg

IMG_8278.jpg

IMG_8279.jpg

IMG_8280.jpg

IMG_8282.jpg

IMG_8283.jpg

This shot should give you an idea of the size of the tug in this scale:

IMG_8293.jpg

Here's what I was shooting for, an era photo from a 1940's Clark tug brochure together with my model (which is which?):

image003.jpg

IMG_8267_sepia.jpg

If there's interest, I can whip up a short build thread on how I got there.

Best,

Mike

Thanks guys, I guess there is some interest! I actually did a thread on another forum, but it was very long and protracted. Rather than point you there, give me some time to distill what I have down to the particulars with some fresh observations. Even though I used paper, I think some of the techniques will be useful in any medium.

I forgot to post a couple of images in my original post showing the tug in action:

IMG_8311.jpg

IMG_8307.jpg

So you just built it using a sketch?

No plans, no model?

LOL, no Keith, it wasn't that simple. My Internet travels for Clarktor references turned up some good stuff, including a 1948 drawing from yet another Clark brochure:

1948ClarktorCT-6Mill-44SalesSpecs.jpg

I imported the above into Auto-CAD, then drew up some plans, extrapolating them into the version of the tug I wanted to build (see the earlier pic above in my initial post):

Clarktor6Layout1_33Scale.jpg

From those base drawings I could draw up patterns for various parts as I needed when I needed them.

All will be revealed as I can put it out there. Hang loose, and I'll be back.....

Mike

OK guys, I think I’m ready to post the first installment of how I built the little Clarktor. I’m trying to make it as concise as I can without glossing over anything, however if something doesn’t makes sense, please chime in. I’ll try to clarify…..

I started this project with the tires and rims since they seemed the most complicated. I figured if I can get past those, it would be down hill from there. First were the rear tires. In paper model construction, a common method to make wheels is to glue stacks of cardboard together to achieve the desired thickness. Through that stack is attached a nut, bolt and washers, then the whole assembly is mounted on a dremel tool and turned down using sandpaper:

IMG_7682.jpg

IMG_7683.jpg

IMG_7684.jpg

IMG_7690.jpg

IMG_7691.jpg

A drop of CA glue in the center of the discs hardens the paper to drill a clean hole for the bolt. The tire tread was very distinct (and complicated):

Mill-44RearTire-1.jpg

It took a bit of noodling to figure out the pattern. Once I got it straight in my head, I drew up a pattern in CAD (you can see the finished wheel cores in this pic as well):

IMG_7693.jpg

I had two approaches in mind to try to replicate this tread. My first approach was to glue a pattern onto thick card, cut it out and apply over the outer rim of the wheel core:

IMG_7694.jpg

IMG_7695.jpg

IMG_7696.jpg

IMG_7698.jpg

Strips of paper were used to “wrap” the tread down the sidewalls of the “tire”:

IMG_7701.jpg

IMG_7702.jpg

CA glue was used to harden everything up, a quick turn down on the dremel to smooth things over, and the result didn’t look so bad:

IMG_7703.jpg

IMG_7705.jpg

But a coat of paint revealed that the details were soft, the CA glue filled in some treads, overall, not very good:

IMG_7706.jpg

Oh well! On to the second approach at tread making in the next installment.

Edited by Bomarc

So the second approach to create the treads was a sort of inverse of the first. The first step of this process was to laminate strips of card to the scale thickness of the treads width using Elmers glue, wax paper to keep things from sticking, and a ¼” steel bar as a press:

IMG_7733.jpg

IMG_7734.jpg

IMG_7735.jpg

IMG_7736.jpg

IMG_7737.jpg

Two tools were created that work as templates to allow me to cut the tread parts repeatedly and consistently that I’ll need. These are nothing more that wood dowels and some heavy card CA glue together:

IMG_7732.jpg

Next step is to punch a series of holes in the strips laminated earlier, then using the above tools, cut out the resquiste number of treads (there’s a “long” tread and a “short” one):

IMG_7755.jpg

IMG_7756.jpg

The punched used is a Tandy Leather punch found in any Michael’s or A.C. Moore art store chain. Next, the “treads” are glued to my pattern printed on plain 20lb printer paper in the correct sequence, creating an inverse version of the final product:

IMG_7757.jpg

IMG_7758.jpg

That “mat-o-treads” is then cut out and wrapped around the wheel core, the whole thing is then anchored/ glued in place with CA glue, being careful not to flood too much glue in the gaps:

IMG_7759.jpg

IMG_7761.jpg

The whole assembly is chucked up in the dremel and turned down to the final scale dimensions:

IMG_7762.jpg

Viola! “More better” treads, equally space about the circumference (and the correct number of treads too) :

IMG_7766.jpg

IMG_7767.jpg

IMG_7771.jpg

Here’ the two methods side by side:

IMG_7729.jpg

Now I skipped over a lot of trial and error to get to the above final product. My CAD patterns needed adjusting/expanding to accommodate the various geometries of all those pieces coming together, but the point is at this stage everything is “dialed in” and I can now make duplicates. It’s useful to have building “systems” like this worked out in paper modeling for those assemblies that need to be reproduced (wheels, tank treads…ugh), for unlike plastic modeling, there’s no resin casting copies in paper.

So, with the “system” in place I could make three more identical “tires” in assembly line fashion:

IMG_7772.jpg

IMG_7773.jpg

IMG_7774.jpg

IMG_7775.jpg

IMG_7776.jpg

IMG_7777.jpg

IMG_7778.jpg

Next is detailing the tires, and then the hubs (don’t want to miss that one….who-boy)