Photo

Did anyone ever make a 1/32 Fw190D-11 conversion?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Spaced Marine

Spaced Marine

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 05:22 PM

What’s available to convert the Hasegawa Dora 9 into an 11?
  • Martinnfb, harvey and BiggTim like this
Dubito, ergo cogito, ergo sum.

#2 RBrown

RBrown

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 05:37 PM

Check out Montex https://www.scalemat...2106-fw-190d-11

• D.B. Andrus, Martinnfb, LSP_Typhoonattack and 1 other like this

#3 Bruce_Crosby

Bruce_Crosby

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 05:41 PM

Hi Guys,

Gray Matters sells the Gerry Rutman D-13 conversion which is valid for a D-11 as well. D-13 had an engine mounted gun with it firing thru the centre of the spinner, D-11 had two outer wing guns instead. Hasegawa has all the right bits for the wings in their A-7/8 kit, that’s a new under wing inset for the gun blister and ejection port, plus a raised blister to go on the wing top.

Having already done a D-13 I’ve now got all the parts to do a D-11 some time this year.

Regards,

Bruce Crosby
  • Martinnfb, LSP_Typhoonattack and BiggTim like this

#4 LSP_Kevin

LSP_Kevin

• Administrator
  • 41,178 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 11:05 PM

I used Jerry's set and a collection of assorted other parts to produce a D-11 a few years ago:

9T2KlL.jpg

Note that the kit here is not the new-tool Hasegawa release, but the older hybrid kit, featuring a new fuselage and sundry parts, mated to the old 190A wings, etc.

Kev

• Kagemusha, Martinnfb, Uncarina and 1 other like this

#5 Bruce_Crosby

Bruce_Crosby

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 07:25 AM

Hi Guys,

Had a look at the link to the Montex conversion but it misses one vital point about the later D series: they all had the 213 engine with larger engine mounts and the front panelling was bulged either side for clearance.

That’s why the Rutman kit has a new fuselage, Jerry did his homework properly. It’s a VERY subtle change to the airframe but once you see it and know it’s there, nothing else will do.

Regards,

Bruce Crosby
  • Spaced Marine, Kagemusha and RBrown like this

#6 Paul2660

Paul2660

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 05:26 PM

Here is a link to the ebay store for grey matters:

https://www.ebay.co....=item33a4a83e6e

As already pointed out, Grey Matters, took the original J Ruttman resin and re-worked it.  JR took his mould directly from the Hasegawa kit, and did a great job, adding the correct cowling bulges.  His resin was amazing.  

Now Grey Matters offers it, and they I believe have reworked the mould a bit as it appears very clean.  I have put mine up against the Hasegawa fuselage halves and they line up perfectly.  Panel line detail is all there.  Grey Matters uses a different resin, which is softer and IMO easier to work with.  I ran into a shrinkage issue a couple of years ago, but they were great and replaced my set.  No problems since. 

Just for the record, Grey Matters also has the 1/24 update set for the Trumpeter kit.  It is also from a JR original.  Trumpter's kit was a D9, but they for some reason curved the cowling hinges on the top of the engine.  Strange.  The JR/Grey matters update fixes this and also allows for the D11/D13 conversion.  I will say this update is beautiful in the Grey Matters resin.  All of the rivet details are there and the work is very clean.   

JR did great work and I have many of his original conversions and full kits.  If you are interested in a large clean D11/D13 look to the Grey matters update in 1/24.  It's a work of resin art.  If you get it, recommendation, is place the 2 fuselage half together and tape them in place for later construction as they might twist a bit in storage.  

One last note, the Grey Matter resin responds very well to warm water baths if you need to straighten it out or pull a warp out. 

Edit, forgot to mention, if you are looking at D11 or D13 Eagle editions www.eaglecals.com has both excellent decals for many different versions but several good reference books.  J Crandall has a lot of personal knowledge on this one of the D13's that made it to the US and wrote a great book on it. 

Yellow 10.  I guess it's out of print but it was available at Eagle Editions 2 years ago. 

Here is a link to Eagle Editions decal sheet on Yellow 10, one of the most famous D13's since it survived. 

http://www.eagle-edi...nd-friends.html

LInk to the book on Yellow 10 on ebay. 

https://www.ebay.com...XAAAOSwodlat5Lq

Paul Caldwell 

Edited by Paul2660, 21 May 2018 - 06:46 PM.

• RBrown likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users