RAF Landrover 1/35 Scale

MikeC

Make the most of this, I don't often do a vehicle! :D

Something that can be found almost anywhere the RAF (other British Services are available) has a presence is the ubiquitous Landrover.  It has/had many RAF uses and guises, from swift-response fire truck to general service vehicle.

Until the early 1970s airfield vehicles were painted yellow: then came the NATO "tone-down" where everything in sight was painted green.

So here's an Italeri Landrover LWB Series 3 soft-top, dated anytime from 1974 onwards, built from the Italeri kit.  It does not represent any specific vehicle, simply a generic "Landy", which allowed me to use one of the two sets of numberplates in the kit.  I freely admit I don't know the registration system, so it may well be an Army number as that's what the kit option was.  The "Royal Air Force" legend came from a spare aircraft decal sheet.  What's it used for?  Perhaps a general station "hack" vehicle.

Unfortunately, right at the last minute, I lost the passenger-side door mirror, so decided that the driver had "wiped it off", and has perhaps yet to confess his sins to SNCO i/c MT.

I will also confess to one more heresy: I may well stand it next to an appropriate 1/32 LSP in due course!  Anyway, here 'tis.

20240315-170235.jpg

20240315-170250.jpg

20240315-170258.jpg

20240315-170307.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Edited by MikeC

The old Italeri kit is great, I've built quite few over the years , and owned numerous 1:1 versions 

Nice job there Mike, for me the roof is always a bit tricksy but you've pulled it off. 

If you ever research MOD plates this website will give you in-service records. 

https://merlinarchive.uk

Good idea. Unless you use it in a BAOR setting, there may be another heresy! As far as I'm remembering correctly the Italeri kit was a left hand drive vehicle. And for whatever strange reason Italeri put six bolts on the wheels whereas Landies only used 5! Nonetheless the kit looks like a good seventies Series III model. :goodjob:

40 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

Good idea. Unless you use it in a BAOR setting, there may be another heresy! As far as I'm remembering correctly the Italeri kit was a left hand drive vehicle. And for whatever strange reason Italeri put six bolts on the wheels whereas Landies only used 5! Nonetheless the kit looks like a good seventies Series III model. :goodjob:

Thanks Thierry.  This one was definitely right-hand drive, although a quick check on Scalemates shows me that the original issue was indeed a LHD version. https://www.scalemates.com/kits/italeri-321-landrover--171311

@Derek B Thank you, and me too.

@Panzerwomble  Thanks, and that's useful info.