Converting the Tamiya F-4 to an RF-4B

I have the RF-C nose conversion kit from PhNtom Phreaks and the GT Resin F-4B conversion for the Tamiya 1/32 F-4. What else would I need to make an RF-4B with these 2 conversion kits? I have the Revell RF-4B kit but it almost seems easier to convert the Tamiya kit if possible. Any input is appreciated.

Hi Rich, the easiest thing to do is to go for a serial number 7342 to 7351, those had the thick wing and beefier landing gear, then you don‘t need to convert to a thin wing. 7348 through 7351 had the rounded nose, so that won‘t work with what you have. So google search images for 7342 through 7347 and see what comes up. Pay close attention to the exhausts, they got long burner can engines later in life.

Cheers,

Marcel

10 hours ago, RichSpreier said:

Thanks Marcel. Great info. Is the phantom phreaks nose conversion the right nose for the RF-4B?

I’m not familiar with the set but if it’s an RF-4C nose it should be good for all but the last few built with the rounded nose, see my post above…

Edited by Marcel111

5 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

The Revell RF-4B is really terrible! It is based on the sixties F-4E first generation molds. Alas, the only thing that you can possibly re-use are the decals!

And I’m lucky enough to have 2 of those kits! I considered building one but it has raised panel lines and the plastic is strange and difficult to scribe. It would be months of work to make anything close to presentable.

21 hours ago, RichSpreier said:

I have the RF-C nose conversion kit from PhNtom Phreaks and the GT Resin F-4B conversion for the Tamiya 1/32 F-4. What else would I need to make an RF-4B with these 2 conversion kits? I have the Revell RF-4B kit but it almost seems easier to convert the Tamiya kit if possible. Any input is appreciated.

If you have the Phantom Phreaks nose that has the rounded profile and is good for RF-4B 7348 onwards. Just a few.

These also had the thicker wing so you fit the nose conversion to a Tamiya F-4J as Marcel suggested, et voilà!

Not sure about the cockpit — does the Phantom Phreaks set have the pilot's IP with two side-by-side scopes? 

The Revell kit is really ancient and best sold on / given to a kid to make.

HTH

Tony 

Edited by Tony T
clarity

On 3/11/2024 at 3:47 PM, allthumbs said:

AVcNS9s.jpeg

http://nabe3saviation.web.fc2.com/explanatione-fr.html

…from the sidebar, navigate to 1/32 models.

Well, after looking at the Rf-4B you built, I feel completely incompetent and incapable. The amount of detail is incredible and makes my ADD act up! As an aside, Didn't I see you working an EA-6A conversion for 1/32? How is that coming along? Count me as an immediate buyer for at least 2.

4 hours ago, RichSpreier said:

Well, after looking at the Rf-4B you built, I feel completely incompetent and incapable. The amount of detail is incredible and makes my ADD act up! As an aside, Didn't I see you working an EA-6A conversion for 1/32? How is that coming along? Count me as an immediate buyer for at least 2.

Hi Rich, 

Not mine…it’s part of Akira Watanabe’s impressive collection.

Regards,

Rich

Edited by allthumbs