Alley Cat Hawker Fury

I'm in with this - the 1/32 Alley Cat (ex. Montex) Hawker Fury, which covers both silver and 25 as I'll be making it in the markings of 25 Squadron.

2024-03-04-18-38-49.jpg

I have both the original Montex and this Alley Cat version. Whilst the latter has many improvements over the original, including the addition of a clear resin windscreen replacing the flat acertate sheet provided by Montex, it also has generaly less crisp castings and (I suspect) a poorer fit. We shall see if I regret this choice, and should instead have gone with the brand new Aviattic Pfalz D.VIII...!

First step - checking the kit contents are all there and giving them a gentle wash.

2024-03-04-18-39-00.jpg

Probably with Alclad - I'm going to test to see whether their chrome or highly polished aluminium gives a better result.

It'll be a while before I post any progress, as there's a significant amount of cleaning up required before I can even think about starting proper. 

Here's what I'm working with after an initial clean up...

Fit on the underside isn't great, but is fixable. The line of lighter grey on the nose was an area of excess plastic flow, probably due to the mold becoming aged (I suspect my kit might have been at the end of the production run...). One fuselage half has the lip for the chin air intake, but it's missing on the other half.

2024-03-11-19-27-20.jpg

There's a significant step on the fuselage joint behind the cockpit. Looks bad, but is actually quite easily fixed as the fuselage halves here are surprisingly thin and can be easily manipulated into shape.

2024-03-11-19-28-11.jpg

The starboard fuselage half has a couple of poorly molded exhaust port holes. Again, fixable but a bit of a pain.

2024-03-11-19-28-25.jpg

Top wing is in three pieces, and initial test seems to show a decent enough joint. This will require metal rods inserted into the wings to improve overall strength.

2024-03-11-19-29-07.jpg

Lower wing fit is fine on the starboard side, not so good on the port side.

2024-03-11-19-29-54.jpg

All in all, about what I would expect from a low volume kit of this type. Nothing (so far) that is unfixable, but a few niggles to work through nonetheless.