A question on DO-335 B-6 1/32

On 2/26/2024 at 9:27 AM, bevelduc said:

I know that this sounds dumb, but how does the second canopy open?  I'm talking about the tear-shaped one.

Tony

Certainly not dumb at all! I've been looking through my references [not very much out there],and I can't find anything. I'm going to guess and it's only a guess, that it hinges to the right. I'm thinking that the whole thing blows off during the ejection process. According to my references there was only 3 built ,by Heinkel of all people. If you want to show it open to the right I'd go ahead ,who's gonna tell ya your wrong and if they do ,show the proof. Another thought is that it was installed by a ground crew after the radar operator was in[ I wouldn't like that]. I'll keep looking ,you've got me curious now . I'm assuming you have the HKM kit and the instructions are no help, figures.

The closest to the B-6 was the unfinished M17, which was completed by the French after the war with a small flush fitting framed canopy covering the second position.  I don’t think I’ve seen a picture of the M17 rear canopy opened, but I’d guess it was hinged to the side, or possibly at the back.  I don’t think the proposed bubble canopy for the B-6 was ever built, but looking at it, it’s too small for a person in flying gear to get though, plus the front have of the bubble overlaps onto the fuselage spine.  My guess would be that the bubble is part of a hinged metal part that covers the rear cockpit opening, and the entire thing hinges to the side.

2 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

The closest to the B-6 was the unfinished M17, which was completed by the French after the war with a small flush fitting framed canopy covering the second position.  I don’t think I’ve seen a picture of the M17 rear canopy opened, but I’d guess it was hinged to the side, or possibly at the back.  I don’t think the proposed bubble canopy for the B-6 was ever built, but looking at it, it’s too small for a person in flying gear to get though, plus the front have of the bubble overlaps onto the fuselage spine.  My guess would be that the bubble is part of a hinged metal part that covers the rear cockpit opening, and the entire thing hinges to the side.

That's kinda what I'm thinking too. The only reference that I've been able to get is the Valiant Airframe & Miniature No.9 which is pretty good . It doesn't have much info on the B-6, shows a scratchy photo of one in the trees at Oberpfallenhofen, probably the one that the French got. I got the HKM 'A' model which I haven't started yet [an impressive aircraft].

For whatever it's worth i just found a pic of the French Do-335 being towed on it's belly for disposal and that flush plexiglas hatch was open [sorry can't post the pic it's in the Valiant book] and it looks like it's hinged from the back. They're calling it an M14 Wr Nr 240014???. If you have the book ,it's at the bottom of page 24.

My understanding was that the M13 and M14 were both single seater B-2s, different only in that one had extended wingtips.  Both were complete at the end of the war.  The M17 was an uncompleted B-type two seater that was finished by the French after the war, and was fitted by them with the small flush canopy over the rear cockpit.  The HKM B-6 kit also show the French aircraft as M17.

https://www.hk-models.com/hkm/index.php?dispatch=attachments.getfile&attachment_id=22

Looking at page 65 of the Valiant book as shown on Aeroscale, the color plate of the French two seater labels it as M17.

17_P1110608.jpg

Edited by Dave Williams

I'm thinking the caption is wrong for pic calling it an M14 . It is confusing me a little [ not an uncommon thing for me]. Anywho the pic on page 24 does show that "hatch" opening to the rear. It's one of those things where we'll probably never know.

I have the same kit and has always assumed that they climb from underneath or the whole thing drops down to get in the sear and pull back up. That canopy looks too small for anyone to climb in. Or maybe the metal part around it opens on a hinge too?

Hello

Thierry, you're right, that's the only "way" to access to the operator display, as for me

I wonder if the operator has an ejector seat..

Amities

Fab

I have a picture of the aircraft of conversation with the rear canopy opened.  The aircraft was damaged upon a landing incident and a tractor was puling the damaged crate off the airfield runway. hmmmm.  Let me see if I can find this if anyones interested?     

3 hours ago, Troy Molitor said:

I have a picture of the aircraft of conversation with the rear canopy opened.  The aircraft was damaged upon a landing incident and a tractor was puling the damaged crate off the airfield runway. hmmmm.  Let me see if I can find this if anyones interested?     

Most probably the same pic that's in the valiant book on page 24. The caption stats that it WASN'T from a crash landing but I don't know,  sure looks like a hell of a prang to me!

5 hours ago, fab said:

Hello

Thierry, you're right, that's the only "way" to access to the operator display, as for me

I wonder if the operator has an ejector seat..

Amities

Fab

I'm guessing that the "RIO" was supposed to have a "bang seat" too. I've often wondered how good their seats were. I haven't run a cross any accounts of it being used. IIRC the He219 had them too, but curiously not the -262 :hmmm:

The He219 needed ejection seats due to the proximity of the props to the fuselage and the cockpit being ahead of the engines.  Very good chance of being hit by a prop on a normal bailout.  On the Me262, the cockpit was over the low wing, and the intakes were ahead of the wing.  All you had to worry about on the 262 was not hitting the tail, pretty much the same as the typical single seat prop fighter of the time.