Local modelling stores on borrowed time?

mozart

I’m in Norway, my local shop is Amundsen’s and HobbyM down in Oslo, 600 Kms away.  Both are online, but still at least once or twice a year we’ll pack up the car (including Digger our pooch) and do a road trip.  Even after a tank of gas, tolls, and two nights in a motel I/we think our pilgrimage is worth it.  We treat it as a mini holiday, 

On 2/21/2024 at 4:12 PM, Rick Griewski said:

Shipping is $$$$ out of control so I ask my LHS to order my kits.  They keep their prices online with SB. My F-35 kit was much cheaper due to postage.  

It can be a real killer! I used to buy from overseas quite regularly because prices for items bought were often , (including postage) lower than in rip off UK. That has changed dramatically. Postage within the EU in particular was usually pretty reasonable. That ended when we left the EU as, postage increased  to eye watering levels , in some cases exceeding the value of the item. I won't even consider buying anything now that needs to be shipped across the pond!  

On 2/10/2024 at 1:03 PM, MikeC said:

On the plus side, I have a choice of seven (yes, you read that right, seven) branches of Hobbycraft* within less than an hours drive from me; most under 45 minutes, and the nearest under 30m.  Useful for restocking Tamiya acrylics, A2 "Messy pads" (Pad of A2 paper that I model on), and other stuff.  I've even bought kits when on offer.

*For those not in the UK: chain of craft superstores that cover all sorts of crafting activities.

I'm pleased that you can get these at your local Hobbycraft. The one in Edinburgh is a total waste of time and space now. It's a large store and, once upon a time, the upper floor gave over about a third of its space to a wide selection of kits, accessories and other ancillary products. Now, they are relegated to a tiny section in the rear corner of the store. First time I visited after they ruined the model section I actually missed them and, had to ask a member of staff where the kits were.  I won't be back 

1 hour ago, Beermonster58 said:

I'm pleased that you can get these at your local Hobbycraft. The one in Edinburgh is a total waste of time and space now. It's a large store and, once upon a time, the upper floor gave over about a third of its space to a wide selection of kits, accessories and other ancillary products. Now, they are relegated to a tiny section in the rear corner of the store. First time I visited after they ruined the model section I actually missed them and, had to ask a member of staff where the kits were.  I won't be back 

I do usually check stock on the website for the stuff like the A2 pads, which can save me wasted trip.  However, for Tamiya paints I do tend to take pot luck (pun intended :wicked:).

I've been going to Stevenage the longest, and it's noticeably similar to your experience: once a whole aisle plus of kits etc is now less than half that.

I'm probably OK in that I'm a relative newcomer to Hobbycraft, so any changes in the Rugby store have already been made, hence I'm thinking "wow, there's some real models and modelly stuff in a physical store" rather than "what a shame it's shrunk - there used to be more"

"Did Hill Country Hobbies close down, they use to be out on Highway 16/ Bandera Rd between 410 and 1604.  Was run and operated by a Retired USAF person?  Dibbles is so old their inside ceiling has been collapsing for the last 30 years…. I bought my recent built preowned P-47 from them."

I think you are referring to Hobby Center which was not too far from Dibbles back in the day.  The owner was a retired USAF Vietnam fighter pilot, I believe.  He closed down and sold his floor space to the soccer store next door.  I drive by the mini shopping strip where Hill Country Hobbies used to be on a weekly basis.  They never look like they are in business.  I saw the owner at the hobby show in New Braunfels but didn't talk to him.  Dibbles, while still a hobby store, sells mostly airplane model kits and train sets.

Edited by gerry1

I guess I'm lucky. I have four stores within a 45 minute loop from home. One, although somewhat small is about a 10 minute drive. I don't think I've ever ordered a complete kit from an online retailer.