TBD Mk 13 Torpedo

Simmo.b

I recently purchased a 3d printed torpedo for the Trumpy TBD, mostly to avoid seam elimination.

When it arrived I noticed that it was "fatter" than the Trumpeter item.

Wickepedia states the Mk 13 was 57 centimetres wide. The 3d printed item scales exactly to this an just under 18 millimetres.

The torpedo included with the Avenger is much closer to 18 millimetres.

So the question is, we're early versions ( I'm doing Midway) of the Mk 13 slimmer?

Any answers would be welcome.

Cheers

Brent

Two different torpedo types were approved to be used by Devastators: the Bliss Leavitt Mk.XIII and the Mk.VII-2B. Isn't that the source of the difference as the second one was clearly thinner and longer than the Mk.XIII? The Ginter book shows that clearly.

One easy way to differentiate them: If the hanging torpedo front tip is under the engine cowling this is the Mk.VII-2B. If it does not reach it this is the Mk.XIII. On the No.VII-2B the rear spinners were not within the four rear tails. Such tails were also far smaller. I will try to double check but you makes me wonder if there were types variants or if Trumpeter did not mix the features of both types. I will try to have a look at that...

I double-checked. The Trumpeter torpedo features look like the Mk.XIII ones. The length is correct but the diameter is indeed close to 3mm too small whereas it is one mm larger than the one of the Mk.VII-2B. So, I'm afraid you are right. The kit Mk.XIII is noticeably too thin...<_<

2 minutes ago, Bill M. said:

I did some checking to see where a 3d printed 1/32 Mk. 13 torpedo might be offered and found this from MPM Hobbies—

https://mpmhobbies.com/products/1-32-mark-13-aerial-torpedo

This is the only 1/32 one I found as well! I think I know what I will do with the torpedo of the Avenger I'm intending to change into a TB3W...:rolleyes:

OK, So now the question becomes which version of the MPM Mk. 13 torpedo is correct for a Midway TBD?

It seems to come in an “A” version and a “B” version— apparently the differences including a tail fin ring on the “B”(?)…..

10 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

Option A.

Thanks!

I figured as much. Since they don’t describe how the two options are different, I had sent MPM an email asking the differences between “A” and “B” to confirm. Waiting to hear back. 

I indeed did get the MPM torpedo version A.

I have had to fill a big hole in the body and one fin was broken along with 3 prop blades missing, (easily fixed).

MPM is a "mom and pop" manufacturer and with some TLC the torpedo will look fine though it ain't no Eduard or Airscale item.

Once you have seen the difference between Trumpeter and MPM it can't be unseen.

Photos show that the "fatty" looks more accurate