Revell P-51D-5NA

Grunticus

13 minutes ago, Shoggz said:

Mine must have been somewhere in the middle of yours Leon and yours ChuckD. The intake assembly was a complete pain the arse to get right..

You're making good progress Leon - I'm enjoying the build a lot having just done one myself!

Thanks Richard, and you are right. A complete PITA. I wonder if I can get a remotely smooth NMF on this one with the all elbow gears I have to throw at it.

Strethed sprue and preliminary sanding have improved things somewhat, but putty and more sanding are my future here (and rescribing YIKES!).

EtuQAkC.jpg

vCcbRAr.jpg

She is starting to put up a fight. The windscreen is too narrow. More so on the left than on the right.

XtShTYO.jpg

I have glued tiny plasticard shims against the sides of the IP. They sit slanted so now the IP becomes a wedge, spreading the base of the windscreen. Now it fits near-perfect. These strips will be pretty deep under the IP coaming, and invisible once I paint them black.

4rUPjf5.jpg?1

The front edge sits slightly raised, but I can easily push it down and all is fine.

uhHrZW2.jpg

5sQVFIJ.jpg

The drilled out holes came out only so-so. The decal broke and came off while drilling. It will have to do, after cleanup and sanding.

VKNPg6y.jpg

I left out the navigation light under the wing as they were not exactly cleanly molded. I glued in a piece of plasticard, and the light will be poured with a drop of appropriately colored resin.

pFd7fLD.jpg

Cheers!

Your technique for tackling the 'too slim' windscreen problem was more elegant than mine.. Which was to go through half a tube of Tamiya putty and then two weeks of sanding and rescribing! 

The same way I tackled the intake, to be fair. Who needs the gym eh, when we have these Revell kits to exercise our arms on! :wicked:

22 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

It might be starting to fight you but I think you’re winning.

John

I hope you're right John but I wonder..While the interior was designed beautifully and fit quite well, the outer contruction is another league altogether. Almost nothing fits. I was going to close the cockpit to preserve the beautiful lines of the Mustang. Well, I guess not.. I can See below this photo.

ZnNNBab.jpg

Edit: after pressing it down real hard the canopy sat reasonable, so I glued it.

8Vtl6fg.jpg

The lower lip on the front was a almost full mm off.

2XMjySA.jpg

The fit of the panel under the engine was abysmal for such a simple part.

auD2H1T.jpg

I will be glad when this one is done. No more in-house designed Revell for me (except for what's already in my stash: F-14A, F-15B, Tornado).

Cheers!

Edited by Grunticus
Corrected conclusion about canopy fit

Well done for your hard work Grunticus, but from where I'm sitting it looks like relentless therapy!
I'm a poor model assembler, I like it when all the parts fit together right the first time, I don't like redoing the model from A to Z, using putty etc etc etc....
My choice will therefore be a Tamiya P51.
I know, I'm lazy...

1 hour ago, Furie said:

Well done for your hard work Grunticus, but from where I'm sitting it looks like relentless therapy!
I'm a poor model assembler, I like it when all the parts fit together right the first time, I don't like redoing the model from A to Z, using putty etc etc etc....
My choice will therefore be a Tamiya P51.
I know, I'm lazy...

Thank you. And you made the right choice. I had the Tamiya but sold it, thinking the Revell would be good enough. This amount of bad takes a lot of the fun out of a build for me. While model building literally feels like therapy for me, this does not. I am nearly there now so I'll continue.

I also sold my Tamiya Mustang when the Revell version was released on the basis that my build time is so long that I would be able to finish the simpler version in a reasonable amount of time. I’m not so sure now.

I also bought the Dagon version but spent so much time trying unsatisfactorily to fill in the wing rivets that I gave up.

John

Leon, this is going to sound bad - so apologies in advance!

The fact that such an accomplished modeller as yourself is finding such issues with the kit, makes me feel a bit better that I had them.. Maybe it wasn't me being an idiot after all.. :whistle:

3 hours ago, Shoggz said:

Leon, this is going to sound bad - so apologies in advance!

The fact that such an accomplished modeller as yourself is finding such issues with the kit, makes me feel a bit better that I had them.. Maybe it wasn't me being an idiot after all.. :whistle:

3 hours ago, Shoggz said:

..but keep at it - if I can knock something I'm pleased with out of mine, I'm pretty damn sure you can!

Richard, thank you, but given the company here I consider myself to be in the lower-end here. Nothing wrong with self-awareness as far as I'm concerned. And it wasn't you, it's the kit. Maybe if I didn't get carried away with making progress so easily sometimes it would have been better. Let's cut Revell some slack.

After a round of MRP blak primer comes a new round of repair and sand. I even did a bit of rescribing (beginner level and result). I didn't get those tool to collect dust.

A black pony:

7ukf04m.jpg

roiS40b.jpg

Edit: the paint came off the exhuast when I was masking them, so that's why they're black now too :unsure:

Edited by Grunticus

:D

Man, I feel for ya.  Another Revell Mustang makes a final approach to the garbage bin.  It's a shame, really.  The interior is great, but the exterior is an utter trainwreck.  The only reason I kept mine around so long is because I was so happy with how the cockpit looked.  But I just couldn't overcome the fit of *everything else.*

Every single panel and part you struggled with fought me tooth and nail too, so to the trash it went.  Life's too short to build crappy kits.