Col. Gregory "Pappy" Boyington

PTR

On 12/9/2023 at 5:42 AM, John1 said:

So he's a big fat meanie with a drinking problem who hurt other people's feelings?  I could care less.   He was an amazing warrior who served his country well and sacrificed more than anyone who has decided to judge him after the fact has, including those of us on this forum.   I agree that many other amazing stories never got the attention they should have, Carl being a prime example but that's an issue to take up with the folks in Hollywood.    He lived under a microscope which tended to focus on his flaws.   Who knows, maybe some of those clean-cut all-American heros that you want the world to know more about also had their share of skeletons in the closets as well? 

Bottom line is that every one of these guys was a human being, not a comic book character. 

You realize the guy is dead and can't have his feelings hurt by the truth being told, right?

Hey, it's cool, I get it; you think these guys are above reproach because they are 'heroes.' I guess their deeds make them more than human and absolve them of their problems. That makes them less real, but it does make them look good, in a fake history sort of way.  Anyway, it's not the people here judging Boyington. We are repeating what his peers thought of him and how he felt about himself.  You're standing up for a man who admitted he was a bum. History proves it. 

Service does not automatically make you a hero, if it did people would have to view the SS and Germany Army as heroic when they were not, at all, in any way, that. 

If only Jeffrei Dalmer had been a WWII vet, he would have been absolved of all crimes! :D

Edited by JeepsGunsTanks

3 hours ago, JeepsGunsTanks said:

You realize the guy is dead and can't have his feelings hurt by the truth being told, right?

Hey, it's cool, I get it; you think these guys are above reproach because they are 'heroes.' I guess their deeds make them more than human and absolve them of their problems. That makes them less real, but it does make them look good, in a fake history sort of way.  Anyway, it's not the people here judging Boyington. We are repeating what his peers thought of him and how he felt about himself.  You're standing up for a man who admitted he was a bum. History proves it. 

Service does not automatically make you a hero, if it did people would have to view the SS an Germany Army as heroic when the were not, at all, in any way, that. 

If only Jeffrei Dalmer had been a WWII vet, he would have been absolved of all crimes! :D

LOL, the wokeness is strong in you.   I truly hope our military heroes of today have as their primary focus sensitivity, inclusion and empowerment.  We can't have any bum's flying today's combat aircraft, the most important thing is that they are really nice, sensitive guys who don't hurt anyone's feelings, shooting down a few dozen enemy aircraft is secondary to politeness.   

I think you are just confused about the whole military thing.  I get it, many civilians today are.   For the record - service does not make you a hero, but shooting down 26 enemy planes and being awarded the CMOH, though?   That's a hero bub, despite dad's more enlightened thoughts on the guy.   But hey, keep grinding your axe, it's all good.  I just hope we have a bunch of these bums around to serve our country when the next war starts. 

“It’s Tommy this, and Tommy that, And chuck him out the brute,
But it’s ‘Savior of his Country,’ When the guns begin to shoot!

I'm out on this one, don't bother spending your valuable time responding.   

Me thinks this thread is heading a bit south gents............just a bit of heeding here on not getting too personal. Just me, but I personally think the truth is the truth and how different individuals take it, can make all the difference on how they choose to express their opinions on it.

On a side note, just me but I personally cannot STAND the "woke" and "wokeness" expressions and how they now somehow get used..  It was an expression that originated from African Americans who were marginalized and now it seems its just fodder for being tossed around by whomever chooses to use it in whatever context, usually having nothing to do with how it was intended to be used, and in todays society has lost all its actual meaning, except a political one.   

7 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Me thinks this thread is heading a bit south gents............just a bit of heeding here on not getting too personal. Just me, but I personally think the truth is the truth and how different individuals take it, can make all the difference on how they choose to express their opinions on it.

On a side note, just me but I personally cannot STAND the "woke" and "wokeness" expressions and how they now somehow get used..  It was an expression that originated from African Americans who were marginalized and now it seems its just fodder for being tossed around by whomever chooses to use it in whatever context, usually having nothing to do with how it was intended to be used, and in todays society has lost all its actual meaning, except a political one.   

I agree 100% that the truth is the truth, not fat shaming or wokeness :rolleyes:. It would be nice if people could discuss things without getting emotional, but humans are humans. In general, the people here do a wonderful job keeping things light and civil. FAR more than most places on the internet. The only other place even close is Bring a Trailer.