1/32 Revell Hurricane Mk IIb

Shoggz

Completed! Went for a pretty used and oily look to try and match the photos of mid-war Hurricanes.

53235029569_4d44bab6cc_b.jpg 53235156720_bb81fc1794_b.jpg 53235156905_50e4b727d5_b.jpg 53235029709_a9fcf16ae2_b.jpg 53234658066_172228881c_b.jpg 53235029934_2ced9f4295_b.jpg 53234657811_6629a3dc54_b.jpg

This is the build I'm most pleased with - so far.

I've managed to improve in a number of areas since the Kotare Spitfire it now sits next to.

A lot of things to work on for the next build, one of which is to have full painted on markings (just did the roundels this time.) I don't like the fact that you can see the stencils are decals

58 minutes ago, Furie said:

This Hurricane looks great right next to the Spit.
Congratulations on the progress you've made, because this Hurry is very convincing!

:goodjob:

Thank you Denis! That's very kind. 

Nice job Richard. That's a great looking pair.

I confess I don't believe I've ever built a Hurricane (or if I have it was many moons ago and in 1/72nd scale). The way this Revell kit looks I may need to remedy that situation.

Having read through your build thread I notice that you don't apply a gloss coat? I think that is something that could improve your models. The stencils would probably have settled more neatly on a gloss coat. The weathering powders would be easier to manipulate on a gloss coat too. 

Also, if one looks at photos of full sized aircraft they are rarely fully matt. Full sized birds appear to develop a slight sheen which enriches the colours and allows light to play across their form. Perhaps a subtle satin sheen might lift our models in the same way?

So, now that you've built a cammo bird, what's next? Night fighter variant?

Cheers

34 minutes ago, geedubelyer said:

Nice job Richard. That's a great looking pair.

I confess I don't believe I've ever built a Hurricane (or if I have it was many moons ago and in 1/72nd scale). The way this Revell kit looks I may need to remedy that situation.

Having read through your build thread I notice that you don't apply a gloss coat? I think that is something that could improve your models. The stencils would probably have settled more neatly on a gloss coat. The weathering powders would be easier to manipulate on a gloss coat too. 

Also, if one looks at photos of full sized aircraft they are rarely fully matt. Full sized birds appear to develop a slight sheen which enriches the colours and allows light to play across their form. Perhaps a subtle satin sheen might lift our models in the same way?

So, now that you've built a cammo bird, what's next? Night fighter variant?

Cheers

Thank you Guy. You are correct about the gloss coat. I had a bad experience some years back with Humbrol gloss varnish and it put me off.

I obviously need to rethink that and give it another go - all other elements of my modelling skills have moved on, so I'm sure I can do this too!

That's the great thing about this hobby. There's always something to improve or work on!

And what's next? I've got a 1/24th scale Airfix 1/24 Bf/Me109E that is in its early stages. I actually fancy doing another P-51D and having a go at a natural metal finish now that I have an airbrush that I can use in anger. It'll probably be a Revell one as opposed to the Tamiya as I'd quite like to get it on the shelf a bit quicker and there's no Merlin to detail!

1 hour ago, geedubelyer said:

Full sized birds appear to develop a slight sheen which enriches the colours and allows light to play across their form. Perhaps a subtle satin sheen might lift our models in the same way?

True. Military aircraft are semi gloss in appearance. 

51 minutes ago, Woody V said:

Nicely done!
Few people know the Hurricane shot down more enemy aircraft than the Spitfire during the BOB.

Thank you Woody.

Yeah, I do have a soft spot for the old rugged Hurricane and it does seem to fill the role of 'ugly sister' to the Cinderella Spitfire.