Well…crap.

He was on runway 27, not that that matters - it’s just that it’s pretty built up off the end.  What’s that old saying - there are those who have and those who will?  I wonder if this guy was cool enough to fly the pattern with his left elbow out on the cockpit sill?

1 hour ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

Saw that and wondered if you were acquainted with the pilot of that particular aircraft.  

Apparently past V1, wonder if the pilot declared an emergency or if he just notified ATC he lost the canopy and flew the pattern to land the aircraft?  I haven’t read about any NTSB incident reports but that doesn’t mean much.  

Since you have one, is the canopy jettisonable?  I’d imagine it would be if there are bang seats installed or do the seats have canopy piercers?  

Edited by Juggernut

3 hours ago, Juggernut said:

Saw that and wondered if you were acquainted with the pilot of that particular aircraft.  

Apparently past V1, wonder if the pilot declared an emergency or if he just notified ATC he lost the canopy and flew the pattern to land the aircraft?  I haven’t read about any NTSB incident reports but that doesn’t mean much.  

Since you have one, is the canopy jettisonable?  I’d imagine it would be if there are bang seats installed or do the seats have canopy piercers?  

Hi Jugg,

I do know the pilot- yes.

If the seats are hot, then the canopies typically are also.

Most civilian L-39’s have cold seats, however. 

Although unfortunate; I was still glad to see how the canopy separates from the jet. As soon as he rotated, the slipstream pulled it right off in that nose high attitude. I am pretty sure I know why it came off- but won’t speculate publicly.

P

Edited by Pete Fleischmann