LF instructions for AMS P-47M please

oyoy5

I'm no expert, but I believe the idea was to use one or the other, not both, depending on which model you are building. Whichever one you choose goes on the little square part in the middle directly on top of the gear case, then you use the kit parts on either side of it. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. 

26 minutes ago, BiggTim said:

I'm no expert, but I believe the idea was to use one or the other, not both, depending on which model you are building. Whichever one you choose goes on the little square part in the middle directly on top of the gear case, then you use the kit parts on either side of it. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. 

If the set is the former AMS 32124 (and I think it is), the Bendix-Scintilla dual magneto and Prop Governor in that set is what I highlighted in my previous post.  They are used on both the P-47M and P-47N (although the N model did use engines other than the R2800-57).  In short, you need both.

The distributors (which are on either side of the dual magneto) are not correct in either P-47 kit (the D or the M) but are closer in the D kit.  If you want the correctly shaped distributors, you'll need to purchase the engine sprue from the Tamiya F4U-1A or -1D kit (Sprue H) which will also provide you with the Bendinx-Scintilla dual magneto and prop governor.  It will not however, provide you with the C series prop reduction gear case that'll be needed.  The only way to get that item is to use a Trumpeter part, source Sprue K from the long OOP Hasegawa P-47M kit, or find a Vector R-2800 late engine and hope that it fits on the Hasegawa cylinders (it looks too small in the package to my eye).

Edited by Juggernut

Like I said, I could be wrong, and it sounds like I might be. I looked at every reference Harold had, and a bunch of stuff online, and still didn't really understand it. The instructions suggested that you should clip off the piece in the center top of the gear case and replace it with one of the two items in the conversion, leaving the kit distributors on either side in place. I have this kit, and Juggernut is totally right that the ditributors look like crap.

Here's a 2800 that appears to show the larger of the two included parts in the middle:

Motor-Pratt-Whitney-R-2800.jpg

And an old thread here about the subject:

Other than that, you might have to do some more thorough internet sleuthing. I want to hear what you find, though.

4 minutes ago, Juggernut said:

I'm sorry, what did I write that was funny?

Not in a bad way at all, only the fact that I figured someone would know more about the subject than I did, and you proved me right. You guys are awesome and full of good info, and I am far from being an expert, so I was chuckling at myself. I very much appreciate your info, and I'd love to know more about it if you can help. Emojis don't do a good job of conveying our feelings, do they?

T

Edited by BiggTim

Thanks Juggernut, I am in luck because I do have the corsairs Peru from her to me a kid and I also have the Trumpeter c series gear case so I should be I decent shape.  Wish I would have kept my Hasegawa P-47M now oh well.