South African Mirage III Question

Hello, I am going back to an old build to get it done - am leaning towards finishing my Italeri Mirage III as a South African (SA) bird.  I want to have the load out with two drop tanks, followed with two outboard missiles and on the centerline pylon - was going to hang the large mantra missile. Can somebody in the know confirm if the SA birds had the Sidewinder or the mantra missiles on the outboard pylons? As well, are there any sources of masks available in 1/32 scale for the SA markings? I couldn't find anything! 

Any help appreciated!

Cheers

Alan

7 hours ago, alaninaustria said:

Hello, I am going back to an old build to get it done - am leaning towards finishing my Italeri Mirage III as a South African (SA) bird.  I want to have the load out with two drop tanks, followed with two outboard missiles and on the centerline pylon - was going to hang the large mantra missile. Can somebody in the know confirm if the SA birds had the Sidewinder or the mantra missiles on the outboard pylons? As well, are there any sources of masks available in 1/32 scale for the SA markings? I couldn't find anything! 

Any help appreciated!

Cheers

Alan

Hi Alan

Which Mirage III are you building. The SAAF operated both the Mirage IIIC and the IIIE.

The loadout will depend on the time period. Mirage III's were operated between 1963 and 1989 , so cammo and typical config changed a lot. 

The outboard missiles were initially the AIM-9B and from the early eighties the locally produced V-3 was carried. Matra 550's was only carried by the Mirage F1CZ.

Fortunately Artman Delta now produces 3D printed tanks and missiles in 1/32 and MAV produces decals. During the last few years of operations some of the the Mirage III's carried no national markings making modelling a bit easier. 

Tell me what time period and which Mirage and I will see if I can find photos and details for you.

Cheers

Nick

https://supernovastudio.durban/collections/artman-delta/Artman?sort_by=best-selling&filter.v.price.gte=&filter.v.price.lte=&filter.p.product_type=3D+Printing

There are some new additions to the 1/32 Mirage III ordinance range that will be posted in the near future

Hi Alan,

I have a couple of photos of early SAAF Mirage IIICZ carrying 2x Aim9B and a Matra 530 missile on the belly, and Matra 530 and a pair of RP18 500lt tanks, thes would all be in the 1970's

As Nick mentioned above, there are many variations of cammo/markings/weapon configurations later in their lives so the specific aircraft/period would be important

13tBPr.jpgcNLiIE.jpg

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated! I am not really sure, which era I am after, I just want to do two drop tanks, a Matra 530 on the centerline rail, and outboard two Matra Magic 550’s. 

Thanks

Cheers

Alan

HI Alan, Here is poor quality pics of an early Mirage IIICZ and a Mirage IIIEZ, both photos taken in  the "Scramble" hangers at Air force base Waterkloof in Pretoria in 1973

Both carry 2x Aim9B Sidewinders, 2x 500Lt supersonic tanks and 1x Matra 530 under the belly.

YZnzZh.jpg

yZNuPl.jpg