Operation Dad's 80th Birthday, 1/32 Consolidated B-24J --> Ford B-24L

armor fiend

As with the others, no joy on the pics in your last post. My hats off to you for plowing ahead on this. Mine is currently stalled as this kit is such a beast to convert. Not on the SOD, but I definitely had to give it a break and finish something easy.

-Peter

Of course, I had cemented together the tails previously, so, needed to see if I could crack them apart without damaging them. Fortunately, limonene cement welding isn't as thorough as mek or other solvents. So, after running more around the seams, I was able to insert a knife and slowly pop it open. I did break one of the tabs for the control surface, but I'd damaged it earlier.

AMWts8ArGT4EoDQmXK9PQrFUL1v1napcKfgudlG-

Got some 60 grit sandpaper at the hardware store and ran into a new problem. I couldn't move the dang things across the surface of the sandpaper, it had so much friction. Not while putting even pressure on it, anyway. Eventually figured it out, and much sanding later, removed approximately half a millimeter from each side.

I think it looks much better and more properly scaled compared to the non-sanded tail. I'll need to putty it up, but that's for another day.

AMWts8C5fvcb-8_ZyM9QrZr5ph7zHwApNV3732Mt

• 1 month later...
On 5/5/2023 at 8:33 AM, John1 said:

Any update on this build?

Well, between my brother picking a fight with gravity and me getting covid, I lost about two months build time (we went back again to help out).

I plan to start again this week. Gonna be hard pressed to finish by July, but I'm not gonna trade time for quality. If I make it on time, great. If not, I'll just tell Dad something is in the works.

Edited by armor fiend

• 9 months later...
On 5/8/2023 at 11:11 PM, armor fiend said:

Well, between my brother picking a fight with gravity and me getting covid, I lost about two months build time (we went back again to help out).

I plan to start again this week. Gonna be hard pressed to finish by July, but I'm not gonna trade time for quality. If I make it on time, great. If not, I'll just tell Dad something is in the works.

So, that was a lie. I'll get back on it soon. I just got distracted by other models.