Bf-109 experts wanted

3 minutes ago, rafju said:

The G-2 in Hendon museum is equipped with this kind of sand filter. I think we can get some interesting info from people out there.

So Britmodeler is my friend...

If you have any contacts there , please see what you can scare up. even some pics up under the cowling just to see how it goes would be a big help and thank you very much for the drawings kind sir!

20 minutes ago, quang said:

What cable? It’s a simple filter just like the one you have in your Brita water pitcher. Do you see a cable there? :rolleyes:

ok and how can move the x2 quarter sphere covers?

@CRAZY IVAN5 done (with my best "english" , ah, ah, ah)

Bf109 G-2 Hendon sand/dust filter info needed - Resources - Britmodeller.com

1 minute ago, rafju said:

ok and how can move the x2 quarter sphere covers?

@CRAZY IVAN5 done (with my best "english" , ah, ah, ah)

Bf109 G-2 Hendon sand/dust filter info needed - Resources - Britmodeller.com

Ah sir you stated it correctly that's exactly the info that I need , let's see what transpires, and your English is just fine by my standards. What is your native tongue if you don't mind me asking?

For your info , about the open/close control cable inside the engine room, there are  good pictures in the WWP book n°43 special museum line " Bf109 G-2 Trop in detail (Hendon Museum)", sorry no possible to publish here, copyright...

Edited by rafju

11 hours ago, rafju said:

For your info , about the open/close control cable inside the engine room, there are  good pictures in the WWP book n°43 special museum line " Bf109 G-2 Trop in detail (Hendon Museum)", sorry no possible to publish here, copyright...

Cool! I'll have to check it out  thank you for all your help , it's greatly appreciated

12 hours ago, rafju said:

I just purchased this book a few minutes ago , Thank you so much.

On 1/19/2023 at 11:00 PM, rafju said:

I just purchased this book a few minutes ago , Thank you so much.

• LSP_K2 changed the title to Bf-109 experts wanted

The actuator cable for the dust filter had two parts. One part ran from the filter through the supercharger scoop and entered the engine compartment through a small hole about 10 cm behind the supercharger opening in the cowling. This part of the cable ended in a small loop, all as shown in the drawings posted here earlier.

The other part ran from the filter handle in the cockpit through the firewall. At its end was a hook and a safety spring mechanism similar to the one employed in the antenna and canopy wires. This allowed the cowling to be opened with the two parts of the wire connected to each other without the risk of breaking the wire, and also allowed the two parts to be unhooked, making it possible to open the cowling panel fully. After unhooking, the wire coming from the supercharger intake just hung freely from the hole in the cowling - it was just a very short end sticking out. The part of the wire coming from the cockpit was hooked to a lip around the supercharger intake, to keep it out of the way of other wiring and cabling in the engine bay.

I hope this description makes some sense... You can find quite a few images of the tropical flter installation on both Bf 109 G-2/Trop W. Nr. 10639, the famous 'Black 6' on display in Cosford, and Bf 109 G-6/Y, W. Nr 167271, MT-507, at Tikkakoski.

Edited by pvanroy
typo

4 hours ago, pvanroy said:

The actuator cable for the dust filter had two parts. One part ran from the filter through the supercharger scoop and entered the engine compartment through a small hole about 10 cm behind the supercharger opening in the cowling. This part of the cable ended in a small loop, all as shown in the drawings posted here earlier.

The other part ran from the filter handle in the cockpit through the firewall. At its end was a hook and a safety spring mechanism similar to the one employed in the antenna and canopy wires. This allowed the cowling to be opened with the two parts of the wire connected to each other without the risk of breaking the wire, and also allowed the two parts to be unhooked, making it possible to open the cowling panel fully. After unhooking, the wire coming from the supercharger intake just hung freely from the hole in the cowling - it was just a very short end sticking out. The part of the wire coming from the cockpit was hooked to a lip around the supercharger intake, to keep it out of the way of other wiring and cabling in the engine bay.

I hope this description makes some sense... You can find quite a few images of the tropical flter installation on both Bf 109 G-2/Trop W. Nr. 10639, the famous 'Black 6' on display in Cosford, and Bf 109 G-6/Y, W. Nr 167271, MT-507, at Tikkakoski.

Thankyou sir your explanation makes sense , I'm gaining a working knowledge of this aircraft one chunk at a time!

14 hours ago, pvanroy said:

@pvanroy

Sorry Sir but not exactly, i'll try to do my best from what I understood about this drive.

Two parts=> ok ,to unlock and lock the system as the cowling is open or close, but there is no hook. The "coupling" is realised with a specific lever fixed inside the cowling and a cylinder "cam" fixed in the cable line coming from the cockpit through the firewall. (I can send you a picture)

The lever, can be seen here:

Arsenal45 (arsenal45-shop.de)

it has a form (fork shapped) that can meet (like a horseman) the cylinder cam when the cowling is closing.

The end loop of the (upper) cable coming from the sand filter mechanism is connected on one side of this  lever.