Spitfire Ia 92 Sqn May 1940

MikeC

I went to Duxford recently to see the now-finished "Evolution of the Spitfire" exhibition, stroll up to the American hangar, and generally soak up the atmosphere.  I finished in the gift shop, and as one does I left with some plastic, an Airfix Spitfire Ia in 1/72.

It was a bit of a challenge as I don't think I've built a 1/72 Spitfire since about 1995, but I thought I'd do it completely out of the box with no additions and the kit marking for an aircraft of 92 Sqn in May 1940, just before the Battle of Britain.  And 10 hours or so of modelling time spread over three weeks later, here it is, and it made a nice little "palate-cleanser" before I tackle a couple of large-scale Spits and maybe even get back to the Mustang.

20220222-162819.jpg

20220222-162825.jpg

20220222-162832.jpg

20220222-162842.jpg

20220222-162855.jpg

And finally, I had forgotten just how tiny a 1/72 Spit is, but here it is compared to a Revell IIa fuselage half.

20220222-162911.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Thanks Iain.  Funnily enough, I also have a Chippie just about to enter the paint shop, hopefully to emerge in due course as WP979 of 5AEF, in which I spent many happy hours in the 1970s.

It is rather small,  as you say.

Edited by MikeC

1 hour ago, dennismcc said:

That does look rather nice, I take my hat off to people who can build kits that are that small, I tried building a 1/72 scale B-24 once and failed miserably.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Dennis, although what doesn't show here is that there are no seat belts, the instrument panel detail was a quick dry-brush over the existing kit detail, and all stencil data markings are absent.