Problems with Phoenix Decals?

dsahling1

I just went to apply the phoenix 1/32 f-14a tomcat vf-1 decals and they're terrible and broke up with just applying them.  I know they're out of print so I didn't know if it was a bad set, too old?  Or what?  So I can try to avoid such a problem in the future are Phoenix Decals known to be junk or was it just bad luck?

Thanks 

Dan

Where and how long was the kit stored before you built started it? The ambient temperature and humidity of the storage room has a lot to do with the deterioration of decals. 

This topic has been discussed here in the past.

ASK KEVIN FOR HELP IN FINDING THE PERTINENT LETTERS. (sorry Kevin but here you are the font of knowledge).

8 minutes ago, ssculptor said:

The ambient temperature and humidity of the storage room has a lot to do with the deterioration of decals. 

True. Humidity can especially be a problem over extended periods of time.

I recall being advised to apply a coat of KRYLON Crystal Clear (Satin). It comes in a spray can.

Shake the can a whole bunch until you hear the marble bounce around. READ the instructions on the can!!!

Spray the decal lightly with a thin coat of clear.

Wait an hour and respray. Wait an hour or better yet wait 24 to 48 hours.

Then CUT THE DECAL OUT using an Xacto knife with a sharp new blade.

There are other methods, ask around. 

Life is an adventure, enjoy.

:hmmm:

1 hour ago, quang said:

I use Microscale Liquid Decal Film.

- Brush a (not so) thin coat on the decal with a flat, soft brush.

- Wait 10 minutes.

- Repeat.

- 30 minutes after the second coat, your decal is ready.
- Apply as usual.

Id have to agree w/Quang, the process above does work amazingly well. As an avid air-brusher, I was against using a "thick" layer brushed on as recommended, but the procedure outlined above does seem to prove out the best way to do it.  

The LDF thins out amazingly well, and you don't really have to worry about how it goes on, as the stuff is quite amazingly self leveling.

• 4 months later...

Yes, I'm so sorry I didn't reply sooner, life sometimes gets a little hectic, I did receive them, as things worked out I was able to finish the 1/32 F-14A Tomcat from VF-1 however, I didn't end up using the decals, I ended up contacting DN Models that does paint masks and they end up scaling up a set of VF-1 and I finished it a couple weeks ago.  With that said, I would like to return the decals to you if that'd be alright?

oh man im i glad to have landed on this thread, for my current project, im planning to use Phoenix decals, after reading this i did a test and mine are also exploding when removed from the carrier film.

just ran to the hobby store to get some Microscale decals film, applying 1 coat made a huge difference but not enough, going to apply 2 coats and make another test

Good thing i saw this thread!!!