F4U exit air

3 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

The oil cooler flaps are how you control the oil temperature.

OctgeG.png

I, of course, know that.  But on a Corsair, these guys don’t seem to have as much travel as, say, the vents on the back side of a Mustang scoop and that set me to wondering if they are fixed or moveable.  The crappy revell kit I just picked up cheap has only a couple of lumps under the wing roots with no openings at all.  You’d think I’d have known better than to buy one of these things, but it seemed like such a bargain.  Rule of thumb when buying a 1:1 airplane is that you buy everything you want or are looking for to begin with even if it costs more than you want to spend and never, ever, buy something cheap with an eye toward fixing it up because it will cost you lots more in the long run.  With this kit, I probably should have taken my own advice.  Already Passed the cost of a Tamiya kit trying to correct all the things wrong with it.

In case you were wondering what those cooling flap controls look like, here you go.

Here's their location on the starboard console, Item 3 on this page of the F4U's pilot manual:

ZquoD9v.jpg

Figure 15 shows a close-up of the cooling flap controls, plus a brief explanation further down the page of their operation (8):

o2YvA54.jpg

Here's the Navy's official film for F4U pilot training, you can find the cooling flap controls at the 3:20 timestamp. It's a pretty awesome video, def worthy of a proper gander.

Hope that helps!

- Thomaz

From the video, note that the cowl flap lever was originally the same size as the two adjacent levers.  The longer lever in the tech orders was added on aircrat starting with: F4U-1s 17517 and JT169; F3A-1 04575; and FG-1 13067.

(The rivet counter in me loves the details, but I don't expect to see them in models.)

Cheers,

Dana