Clear from MRP Paints

alaninaustria

Hi all, just wanted to ask if anybody has used the clear (gloss) from MRP as a base prior to laying decals down? Please share your experiences and thoughts!

Thanks, I have a small batch of this stuff making its way to me. And I want to use it as a base to lay down so e decals. 

Thanks

Cheers

Alan

Yes. Any gloss clear will do the job but no gloss clear does the job better than lacquer... if it's compatible with the paint under it. If you've used enamels, it would be time well spent to do a test. Wet coats of lacquer may attack enamel causing it to bubble or wrinkle.

3 hours ago, Archer Fine Transfers said:

Yes. Any gloss clear will do the job but no gloss clear does the job better than lacquer... if it's compatible with the paint under it. If you've used enamels, it would be time well spent to do a test. Wet coats of lacquer may attack enamel causing it to bubble or wrinkle.

100%. This is how I ruined a VERY nice display base I had painted, thinking I used lacquer black, and it was actually enamel. When I finished I hit it with some lacquer clear and it wrinkled EVERY black square. Gut-wrenching. 

1 hour ago, Out2gtcha said:

100%. This is how I ruined a VERY nice display base I had painted, thinking I used lacquer black, and it was actually enamel. When I finished I hit it with some lacquer clear and it wrinkled EVERY black square. Gut-wrenching. 

My "WTH!" moment came when I was doing a friend a favor by painting his car, which unbeknownst to me had been in a body shop to fix a dent and they painted that area with enamel. A simple couple hour job turned into a nightmare. I wound up laying down about 20 mist coats which looked horrible but, like I told him "Don't pay much, don't get much." 

On 9/9/2021 at 11:56 AM, alaninaustria said:

Hi all, just wanted to ask if anybody has used the clear (gloss) from MRP as a base prior to laying decals down? Please share your experiences and thoughts!

Thanks, I have a small batch of this stuff making its way to me. And I want to use it as a base to lay down so e decals. 

Thanks

Cheers

Alan

Yes - I use it all the time. Its super like its name ;)