P-51D-5NA 339th FG FINISHED

MikeC

• 1 month later...
On 7/19/2023 at 8:42 AM, MikeC said:

I was reading up about Fowlmere again just now, as something came across my FB feed: on 20th August the museum there is next open: I didn't even know they had a museum, so duly noted. 

And duly visited today.  A small museum, run on a low budget and a lot of enthusiasm, and containing a superb collection of 19 Sqn, 339th FG, and Polish Resettlement Camp (which it briefly became after the 339th moved out) memorabilia, documents and photos. 

For a group that isn't extensively modelled, the 339th has a number of claims to fame, not least being the first group to use experimental G-suits, and having a number of pilots claiming jet kills.

20230820-112332.jpg

And this post is here just to wrap up the thread, as after a short email trail, they have an new exhibit:

20230820-ToFowlmere-2.jpg

Pictured - "The Comet", Mark from the museum, and Your's Truly.  Yes, I know I need a haircut, I'm getting one this week!  You can also see a drop tank which was used outside the camp cinema (alright, movie theater) during the war.  The wooden cabinet under that, as in-the-corner as you can get in a Nissen hut, is typical of the uses made of old drop tank crates, and originally came from the parachute store. 

Picture by Richard Sterecki.

• 2 months later...
22 hours ago, nmayhew said:

great read and always nice to see builds which have a personal / local connection

Thanks Nick. :thumbsup:

if you haven’t built a Tamiya P-51 yet, you need to ;)

But I have

20200609-144848-2.jpg

and there's more where that came from - two in the stash, to be exact. :D :piliot:

sent you a PM btw about something else

Received, on my radar, reply on its way soon.